Why become a member? ×

Anthony Jackson Masterclass!!!

Davemarks

Hey all - the ICMP (Bass Instiute) is going to have one Mr Anthony Jackson in for a masterclass on Fri 13th July.

He'll be doing a joint masterclass with Jazz-Rock guitar virtuoso Mike Stern,

Places are obviously extremely limited, but I have 2 spaces to give away.

Simply email me to [email protected] with the answer to this question:

Which absolutely awesome monster bassist recently signed on as part of the Institute's visiting faculty?

(for those of you who don't know, the answer might just be on the icmp website somewhere..)

Winners will be drawn (on Monday of next week) at random from the replies I get..

Dave

[quote name='Davemarks' post='27077' date='Jul 4 2007, 05:50 PM']Hey all - the ICMP (Bass Instiute) is going to have one Mr Anthony Jackson in for a masterclass on Fri 13th July.

He'll be doing a joint masterclass with Jazz-Rock guitar virtuoso Mike Stern,

Places are obviously extremely limited, but I have 2 spaces to give away.

Simply email me to [email protected] with the answer to this question:
Which absolutely awesome monster bassist recently signed on as part of the Institute's visiting faculty?
(for those of you who don't know, the answer might just be on the icmp website somewhere..)
Winners will be drawn (on Monday of next week) at random from the replies I get..

Dave[/quote]

Hell's teeth! What a great scoop.
Masterclass defined.

[quote name='guyl' post='27230' date='Jul 4 2007, 10:50 PM']For those of us unlucky enough not to see the masterclass - or who can't get down to London on 13th - what else will Mr Jackson be doing whilst he's here in Blighty?[/quote]

He's playing Ronnie Scotts with Dave Weckl and Mike Stern if memory serves me correctly :)

[quote name='NickThomas' post='27240' date='Jul 4 2007, 11:05 PM']He's playing Ronnie Scotts with Dave Weckl and Mike Stern if memory serves me correctly :)[/quote]

That's correct kind sir, they're playing there Thursday - Sunday (or maybe Saturday, can't remember)

Thanks for a wicked day Dave, had an awesome time!!! Those guys are just insane, i need to practice more :) Mike Stern seems like a really cool guy though, he kept the tone of the event really light and put his thoughts and tips across in really cool ways...lest we forget the main man Anthony though, he's just a mother on that beast of his...and all without a strap, lol!!!

Are you guys going to be releasing any of the footage you captured?

Glad you enjoyed it!! Those guys are monster. Both such lovely guys and fabulously articulate in their own ways. Great fun was had by all!!

They played Green Dolphin Street and a new Ballad of Mikes and then played Freddie Freeloader to finish.

All awesome.

[quote name='Mikey D' post='31759' date='Jul 14 2007, 02:04 PM']I'm gutted I didn't know about this sooner. Anybody got an update on what he talked about and played?[/quote]

You really missed something special..........sorry to rub it in.

A lot of the talk was about starting playing jazz, and soloing etc.

AJ really got going, when Mike Stern was asked by Steve Lawson, about how he finds time to do other things outside of music like pay the bills.

He basically said that mundane stuff like that should always take second place to being an artist, because that's what we are artists, and that is so important...etc, etc.

He was fantastic to watch though, nothing he did was cliched at all, he played deeply, from the heart at all times, no licks....very inspiring.

His sound was great, the action on his bass looked to be really high, he was really 'digging in' when he played.

He plays sitting down because he suffers from really bad arthritus in his feet, he also had a wrist support on when he arrived in the building.

I was told yesterday that he was once fired by Al Jarrau because he was unable to play standing up and dance......... crazy or what.

Edited by kjb

Caught the gig at Ronnie Scotts last night and it was just unreal.

The whole Mike Stern band were on fire - it was unreal.

Beautiful solos, thoughtful and inspried support playing and a great energy coming off the stage.

The support, Natalie williams was also unreal.

All in all, a fantastic night - nothing I can find fault with. AND as a smoke free venue, the whole thing is so much nicer - i don't wake up feeling rough and smelling bad. Great, great, great.

(was nice to hook up with Alex from the Gallery too...)