Why become a member? ×

markbass cmd 121p or CMD jb players school

Twincam

Thinking of getting either one of these. Both fit my purpose, both are portable and i like the reviews of both. Im not a fan of tweeters in bass cabs, and the fact ive seen lots of people complain of the hissing from the 121p combo puts me off slightly.

I am leaning towards the players school combo as its cheaper, but the fact its cheaper despite me liking the reviews is making me think i will of somehow bought an inferior product.

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1422438603' post='2672529']
I think you can just disconnect the tweeter in the 121p and wire the driver directly, I would do that (or swap it for a better one) as it's probably the ghastly little LeSon one they put in the other "p" cabs so no crossover. Does the 121 have the tweeter control knob?
[/quote]

Yeah i could just disconnect (no tweeter control). I think im gonna have to hunt down a place where i can try them both.

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1422438603' post='2672529']
Does the 121 have the tweeter control knob?
[/quote]

Nope, but strangely, the NY121 cab does have one. I didn't like the hissing from my 121P so I replaced it with the one that was recommended in another thread on here and there's no hiss now :)

I've got a CMD121 and love it. Also have an NY121 to add to it for a full rig that is never lacking. I know you could add a Blackline cab to the Jeff Berlin but not sure that a 250W rig would cut it all the time. I guess what I am saying is the CMD is "future proof". If it is only for home use or a VERY quiet band the Jeff Berlin would do it.

I have the Players School combo - I don't have much to compare it with hands on but with my USA SUB it still sounds proper slap-py, but you can also dial it down to be a really versatile sound (none of that impossible to lose top end sizzle that personally I hate) - then with a P with flats - oh my my - just proper.

This video helped me take the plunge but even this doesn't really do it justice
http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/guitar-interactive-issue-19/reviews/markbass-cmd-151-jeff-berlin-players-combo/

[quote name='timmyo' timestamp='1422815640' post='2677119']
I have the Players School combo - I don't have much to compare it with hands on but with my USA SUB it still sounds proper slap-py, but you can also dial it down to be a really versatile sound (none of that impossible to lose top end sizzle that personally I hate) - then with a P with flats - oh my my - just proper.

This video helped me take the plunge but even this doesn't really do it justice
[url="http://www.iguitarmag.com/magazine-editions/guitar-interactive-issue-19/reviews/markbass-cmd-151-jeff-berlin-players-combo/"]http://www.iguitarma...-players-combo/[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah i seen that vid, i thought it was canny so if you think it does not do it justice then i think i know which im getting.