Why become a member? ×

Advice on how to get this tone? (Ikuo from Bull Zeichen 88)

zerofocus

Hey there

so I've been a fan of Ikuo

he's not the most popular guy but if you listen to much japanese rock or metal or even jazz then chances are you've heard this guy somewhere along the way

here's an example of this guys chops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8SmEjz_eG8

so my question really is how to get such a great tone??

something super clear and heavy but without that low end flub even when using his fingers

any advice would be great

if it helps gear wise I'm using a bass with an ash body maple neck with ceramic mm by duncans

thanks

also people should just check out this guy anyway and his signature series with esp japan

We all like different stuff. For me, I hear a lot of speed, theory and technique but not much soul.

I don't think it's the only style or tone to judge yourself on. However, this guy plays so much there's bound to be something you can take away from him.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422172021' post='2669360']
Guys that play fast with no soul and all the chops and technique in the world have never impressed me.

I think it's a waste of time for young bass players to use these sort of guys as bench marks. Chances are you'll never sound like him or have the ability to play like that.

Blue
[/quote]

WOW!!!! Good sound advice that!!!

Guys that play fast with no soul and all the chops and technique in the world have never impressed me.

I think it's a waste of time for young bass players to use these sort of guys as bench marks. Chances are you'll never sound like him or have the ability to play like that.

Blue
[/quote]

Damn pesky kids with your long hair and your rock and roll music!

The OP has asked a reasonable question to work out how to sound like one of his heroes. I have no answer, it's not my style but how useful is it to come on his thread and slag the style of his hero and tell him he's unlikely to be able to play like that!! I know plenty of players who can play like that and better!! It's possible the OP can play like that to a certain extent and just needs some finer points to help him. Sorry to be blunt Blue, I think your post is very disrespectful and uncalled for. I don't know the OP but if he was fairly new to the site comments like yours could push him elsewhere.

Rant over!!

Blue
[/quote]

wow let's keep it upbeat

i personally think its impressive as a bassist and a style but hey each to their own

as i was asking, i was curious as to how he got this tone, particularly with fingers,
i find that fingers usually sound a little smoother but i know everyone is different but ikuo seems to have great definition and clang without the flubbyness of the low b (which i suppose is another issue I am facing haha)

can I play to that level? no
do I aim to have that accuracy and speed? yes

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1422195942' post='2669705']
The OP has asked a reasonable question to work out how to sound like one of his heroes. I have no answer, it's not my style but how useful is it to come on his thread and slag the style of his hero and tell him he's unlikely to be able to play like that!! I know plenty of players who can play like that and better!! It's possible the OP can play like that to a certain extent and just needs some finer points to help him. Sorry to be blunt Blue, I think your post is very disrespectful and uncalled for. I don't know the OP but if he was fairly new to the site comments like yours could push him elsewhere.

Rant over!!
[/quote]

thanks very much Barney for support

I'm fairly use to forum warriors so I won't be disuaded by him, just probably won't invite him round for a brew haha

Edited by zerofocus

[quote name='zerofocus' timestamp='1422212789' post='2669932']
wow let's keep it upbeat

i personally think its impressive as a bassist and a style but hey each to their own

as i was asking, i was curious as to how he got this tone, particularly with fingers,
i find that fingers usually sound a little smoother but i know everyone is different but ikuo seems to have great definition and clang without the flubbyness of the low b (which i suppose is another issue I am facing haha)

thanks very much Barney for support

I'm fairly use to forum warriors so I won't be disuaded by him, just probably won't invite him round for a brew haha
[/quote]

Guys, I would say my comments were merely my honest opinion and not meant to be disrespectful.

To be brutally honest again, I think the guy in the YouTube clip has a outstanding chops and ability. But for an old timer like me, I see no style or soul, only speed and accuracy. Guys, I come from the school of Paul McCartney the Willy Weeks and Duck Dunns.

The guy is certainly interesting but I don't even consider it true traditional bass playing and not the target to shoot for, for any young bass player.Learn the basic from the old masters first. IMHO

My comments do not directly address the OPs concern, I get that.

Your going to have your own tone. And unless your already an advanced player and unless your a bedroom player I wouldn't be swayed by these nontraditional styles that at the end of the day not many people are interested in.

Respect

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1422213713' post='2669945']
Guys, I would say my comments were merely my honest opinion and not meant to be disrespectful. To be brutally honest again, I think the guy in the YouTube clip has a outstanding chops and ability. But for an old timer like me, I see no style or soul, only speed and accuracy. Guys, I come from the school of Paul McCartney the Willy Weeks and Duck Dunns. The guy is certainly interesting but I don't even consider it true traditional bass playing and not the target to shoot for, for any young bass player.Learn the basic from the old masters first. IMHO

While my comments do not directly address the OPs concern, I get that.

My advice don't worry about others players tone and unless your already an advanced player and unless your a bedroom player stay away from these nontraditional styles that at the end of the day not many people are interested in.

Respect

Blue
[/quote]

i get what you mean, it just came off a little aggressive
i don't think we should have to stick to convention and should be allowed to expand and do something different
we don't forget whats been done before (Paul McCartney etc) but for me to limit myself to just that seems counter intuitive

and I'm still going to hunt for this tone, I'm not looking to please the masses and doing something traditional as I've done that before in multiple bands and can do it again,

this is how I see myself becoming better by becoming quicker and more accurate (with or without this tone per say)

again this my opinion also and no disrespect is ever intended

Edited by zerofocus

[size=4]OP: [color=#323232][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Advice on how to get this tone?[/font][/color][/size]

[color=#323232][font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Looks like a Lakland through a Mark Bass - good gear, good technique, well recorded...[/font][/color]

Blue
[/quote]

[quote name='zerofocus' timestamp='1422212789' post='2669932']
I'm fairly use to forum warriors so I won't be dissuaded by him, just probably won't invite him round for a brew haha
[/quote]

What you need to do is stick at it, practice like fook, get a few lessons from some of the Masters that inhabit this place (I'd recommend Jake Newman, but he's a trek from Manchester) and then make this chap eat his words.

Follow your heart and don't listen to the pensioners :)

The fact you are aspiring to something or someone is a credit to you.....People will always try and put you down, but just ignore them....I sure Jack Bruce, Pino Paladino, and Jaco Pastorius said early in their careers, ' how can I get that sound ' after hearing a song that appealed to them. The way to continually improve is constantly ask questions, try things....fail, and then try again untill you get what your after...