Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Friday night on Sky Arts - Deep Purple 'fest.

The Admiral

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1421923797' post='2666579']
Friday night on Sky Arts 1 : two concerts, one featuring the Glenn Hughes, David Coverdale, Tommy Bolin era from Japan, plus a Classic Albums too.
[/quote]

I think I've seen the Bolin one...and whilst I get that everyone else had to play their arses off to cover Bolin and his 'illness'...
considering he couldn't play at all..I thought he did remarkedly well. Of course, it was crap and he really needed to hit the ground running,
taking over from Blackmore, but I'm surprised it was a 'good' as it was...

The thing about the DP programs is how sensible they all sound and how barking Blackmore comes across...??
I loved his playing around about Machine Head, but saw a show with him on it around about 94 and he was awful AWFUL.
I couldn't understand how he could be that good and on it and then off the pace. I don't recall him giving up playing, but maybe he did, as it sounded like it.
The Swiss shows with Morse showed the band can still put it about....and Paice is still excellent..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1421934415' post='2666749']
The thing about the DP programs is how sensible they all sound and how barking Blackmore comes across...??
I loved his playing around about Machine Head, but saw a show with him on it around about 94 and he was awful AWFUL.
I couldn't understand how he could be that good and on it and then off the pace. I don't recall him giving up playing, but maybe he did, as it sounded like it.
[/quote]

If that's from the Battle Rages On tour vid, Ritchie just had the raving hump that night. As was his wont. There's a classic moment in the Highway Star solo where he misses a note or something and instead of soldiering on, stops playing, throws a glass of something over jon Lord and walks off stage.

I think Morse came along quite soon after.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

I was at that gig in B'ham that was later released as 'Come Hell or High Water'. Blackmore's a moody [email="b@stard"]b@stard[/email] at best but it degenerated into unprofessionalism that night. His apparent resentment at a cameraman getting 'too close' was supposed to be why he threw the water. Most of it ended up over Gillan's wife who was in the wings, you can imagine how that went down ;)
RB's been happy doing his medieval minstrelly stuff with his (admittedly rather attractive) younger wife for the thick end of 20 years now. Satriani briefly stood in for Blackmore for a few far east shows that were already booked when he finally left for the last time in '94ish. Morse came in a little later and the first album he appears on is purpendicular in '96.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1421935798' post='2666774']
If that's from the Battle Rages On tour vid, Ritchie just had the raving hump that night. As was his wont. There's a classic moment in the Highway Star solo where he misses a note or something and instead of soldiering on, stops playing, throws a glass of something over jon Lord and walks off stage.

I think Morse came along quite soon after.
[/quote]

Not sure...I just remember his playing being so awful on that show...and it was deffo in the 90's..so after his Rio type things...?
I must admit I didn't follow him across so lost track of him really but the most recent shows in Switzerland in around 2004
show that Glover and Paice were still great together.

I also thought Glenn Hughes had his moments and played great live bass after Glover, but he should have stopped screaming too much.. :lol:
I'll keep an eye out for the programs... always had a soft spot for Deep Purple...when it is generally a genre I could pass on.

thanks for this i will take a look, as a kid i loved DP and RB was my idol until i saw how pathetic he behaved, Cannot stand him. favourite album was the gold made in japan album but they never seemed to be able to recreate that sound to a tee. Last time i saw blackmore his playing was disjointed and boring.

[quote name='bonnp' timestamp='1422035190' post='2668086'] thanks for this i will take a look, as a kid i loved DP and RB was my idol until i saw how pathetic he behaved, Cannot stand him. favourite album was the gold made in japan album but they never seemed to be able to recreate that sound to a tee. Last time i saw blackmore his playing was disjointed and boring. [/quote]

I still love the Richie days. They were the first band I ever saw at the age of 14. Richie was my favourite guitarist in my teenage years.

Unfortunately, though, you're right, I grow up and realized what a bellend he is.

Missed the Bolin gig, already seen the classic album prog from BBC but I watched all the Melbourne gig from Perfect Strangers tour, pretty good although even here Gillan seems to be struggling with a bug. Still better than the bootleg video that was knocking about of a Paris show from same tour, he's really suffering on that one. Still miss Jon Lord, great player.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1422056071' post='2668377']
I still love the Richie days. They were the first band I ever saw at the age of 14. Richie was my favourite guitarist in my teenage years.

Unfortunately, though, you're right, I grow up and realized what a bellend he is.
[/quote]I love that he's a bellend. Don't think it'd be right if he wasn't!

Perfect Stangers gig wasn't that good... I think they'd have gotten away with it if Blackmore
could play a decent solo instead of that scat he served up on the film..???
Still, it looked like they enjoyed being together a bit more and bares out the theory that
constant touring killed the band off early..and a lot of the problems were less about hating each other
so much as they really needed a long break..?