Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hofner Icon Violin Bass

Wayward-Wanderer

I think I read that Paul used to play high up the neck as he didn't think it sounded as good lower down. Maybe that was due to limitations of the amp he was using though. I haven't played a hofner for a while, but I recall the sound was similar to my danelectro longhorn in a way and I play that on all kinds of things.

That one looks cool in a white finish.

[quote name='Wayward-Wanderer' post='259669' date='Aug 11 2008, 12:31 AM']....I've been thinking about getting one of these....[/quote]
Please get something better. I've played a violin bass several times and each time they've sounded muddy, woolly, (add your own words to describe a terrible bass sound) and they didn't feel good either.
You may totally disagree with me but at least try one first.
I reckon they're a waste of good fire wood.

The Icon is made in China under licence from Hofner. It's a nice enough little bass, but not a patch on a real German-made Hofner. The materials are lower quality (naturally) and the so-called 'sustain block' makes the bass heavier and changes the balance.

Macca played fairly high up the neck for his early studio work, but if you watch his TV & movie work he invariably played down by the nut. His melodic basslines were best served on the recordings by getting away from the muddiness of the thuddy, short-scale flatwounds. He almost always used a pick.

If you don't want "thuddy", then don't buy a Hofner. The Icon will probably be supplied with rounds, which will obviously change the sound a fair bit, but if you want a Fender sound then buy a Fender. If your Icon is fitted with rounds, change 'em.

Can you play other stuff on a Hofner? Well I haven't tried metal, but everything else works. The sound is perfect for rockabilly, rock'n'roll, blues, 60's R'n'B and pop, soul, Stax & Motown. Classic rock sounds pretty good, as does reggae. With the right bassline, you can deliver some pretty reasonable funk, too.

Where Hofners really score are on image and weight. Image because there's nothing else out there that looks like a Hofner violin bass (except Chinese copies of a Hofner violin bass :) ). Weight because you will struggle to find another bass that's so light and can be swung around like a geetar ... if that's your thang.

EDIT: Bear in mind that Macca switched to playing a Rickenbacker in late '65. He played [i]A Hard Day's Night[/i] (1964) on a Hofner, but [i]Back In The USSR[/i] (1969) on a Ricky.

Edited by Happy Jack

The Contemporary version (available here in the UK) is a more modern sounding version with a tone/sustain block inside it. You can still get the 60's Hofner trademark sound, but also some more modern sounds, too. Put a set of decent rounds on one of these & it's got a bit of a piezo sound to it. Nice basses, but I can't vouch for the quality of these cheaper Icon models.

Rich.

[quote name='Wayward-Wanderer' post='262235' date='Aug 14 2008, 10:46 AM']Hmm, Well thanks guys, i went and tried the contempary today and it didn't stack up to my expectations. Definately not enough tone for the likes of me.
As it looks now i'm looking at getting a Headless Jack bass Custom from Hohner. I haven't platyed a Hohner before, any problems i should know about?[/quote]
Your sig says you have a “Squire Jazz (I’m to poor to afford a good bass)".
Well, Squire basses can be very good. In my opinion a bad Squire beats a Hohner any day and they can even beat some Fenders! If you are looking to get another bass I would spend the money on an upgrade of the Squire pickups (bartolini/Fralin/etc) and electrics (east/etc) and possibly the bridge (badass/schaller/etc) and have a professional setup and a good set of strings (DR/etc). Do each upgrade seperately so you can judge the effect, you might feel the pickups are all you need, but with that lot on board you'll have a bass for others to envy.

[quote name='chris_b' post='262283' date='Aug 14 2008, 11:41 AM']Your sig says you have a “Squire Jazz (I’m to poor to afford a good bass)".
Well, Squire basses can be very good. In my opinion a bad Squire beats a Hohner any day and they can even beat some Fenders! If you are looking to get another bass I would spend the money on an upgrade of the Squire pickups (bartolini/Fralin/etc) and electrics (east/etc) and possibly the bridge (badass/schaller/etc) and have a professional setup and a good set of strings (DR/etc). Do each upgrade seperately so you can judge the effect, you might feel the pickups are all you need, but with that lot on board you'll have a bass for others to envy.[/quote]

Haha I really need to change that :), I sold that to a mate so I'll let him know when he is looking for a new bass :huh:

The Hohner isn't that crikcet bat shape, its a got a precision type body. Not sure what year it is. I'm also looking at a Cort Curbow, but that makes me look like a giant because of the body. I'm 6 5, I am a bit of a giant, but the body is way to small. Amazing preamp one that thing tho.

[quote name='Wayward-Wanderer' post='262235' date='Aug 14 2008, 10:46 AM']Hmm, Well thanks guys, i went and tried the contempary today and it didn't stack up to my expectations. Definately not enough tone for the likes of me.
As it looks now i'm looking at getting a Headless Jack bass Custom from Hohner. I haven't platyed a Hohner before, any problems i should know about? :)[/quote]

New Hohners are well made, and quite capable of being set up to play very well. IME they have quite skinny necks though which I'm not keen on (that doesnt mean they arent good though) and maybe at some point if its a passive Jackbass you might want to consider upgrading the electrics as they're not wonderful and in IMO hold back the rest of the bass.