Why become a member? ×

Jazz pickups - recommendations?

carlsim

hi everyone...

just need a few opinions on some possible jazz pup replacements...

I have acquired a Sandberg 5 string jazz bass which I am really enjoying playing - tone wise - it sounds like a jazz bass with a little bit of oomph from the active electronics but still sounds like a jazzbass on steroids.
I do a range of gigs and need versatile work horses -theatre, jazz gigs etc. so I am loving that part, but I was hoping that the sound was a bit more varied.
Does anyone have any recommendations if I was to replace the pups and circuitry to make it more versatile?
I think it has the Delano jazz pups and the standard Sandberg electronics.
Barts? EMG? John East?
Really need as much variety as possible (had a MM SR5 for many years) - or am I aiming for the impossible?

Cheers for ay input!

I replaced the Delanos on my Sandberg jazz with Nordstrand single coils and couldn't be more pleased. I've tried a lot of jazz pickups in the past (Wizards, DiMarzio, Basslines etc.) and the Nordstrands sound really good by comparison.

The Glockenklang pre's in the Sandbergs are transparent and excellent quality. You can get a more vintage tone from the Delanos by cutting the bass and treble on the preamp a little as the Delanos are a little hyped in that area IMO.

I'm a little unclear about the versatility thing. Is it a vintage sound you are looking for?

Normally I would say that the Delanos would be [b]more [/b]versatile as the neck pickup sounds fairly "P" like.

Jazz pickups aren't usually any more versatile than each other but will vary mostly on the vintage/modern axis.

Surely (unless I have misunderstood the question) the most "versatile" pickups are the most transparent ones? The ones that colour the tone the least?

I have no idea which ones these would be, but is that what we are talking about here? :blink:

just a thought, if it's the standard 2 band eq you may be missing some flexibility in the mids that you had with the SR5, and also I think the pups in the sandberg will probably be wired in parallel, again giving rise to a dip in the mids possibly. You of course had the option of series with the stingray which gives a healthy dose of low mids aswell as a mid control on the preamp. I'm not sure you'll be able to replicate that with a jazz bass, and equally a stingray won't get you a sparkly jazz sound (this is "IMO", before the flood gates open!).
Anyhoo, just a thought.
Hope you're well mate.

Cheers Pete :)

I think you could be right Pete... maybe I have just got use to the mids a bit too much! Need to get used to the alternative sound of the jazz...

the pre in the bass does have a variety of sounds, but maybe I need a 3 band eq rather then 2.

Anyone have a 3 band eq in their Jazz? recommendations?

[quote name='carlsim' timestamp='1421926458' post='2666621']
I think you could be right Pete... maybe I have just got use to the mids a bit too much! Need to get used to the alternative sound of the jazz...

the pre in the bass does have a variety of sounds, but maybe I need a 3 band eq rather then 2.

Anyone have a 3 band eq in their Jazz? recommendations?
[/quote]
Hi Mate,
I can't really recommend one over the other, as what I like may well be different to what you like, but you're welcome to come round and try my 5ers, all of which have 3 band eq, and the one I currently have up for sale/trade has a mid control with an additional 3 position switch which changes the frequency of the mid cut and boost. If you want to do that at the very least you can compare my three with yours, and see what if anything you like/dislike about the various basses.
Give me a call if thats any help, and no doubt we'll bump into each other soon anyway.

Cheers Pete :)

I've tried a bunch of different Pickups over the last couple of years in my Jazz, EMG J set, SD Antiquity ii's ,1/4 pounders etc. I fitted a pair of Delanos today and finally found what I've been searching for in my Jazz Bass. I think if you're looking for versatility a J-Retro or similar would be the way to go.
I've fitted two U-Retros to Basses I've had. I've found that they didn't alter the inherent voice of the instrument at all but made them so much more versatile in every way.
Could be food for thought.
B)

• 1 month later...

If it's a 5-string, also check the width.. I have an Overwater J series with Bartolinis which are a 5-string model hence noticeably wider than normal 4s. As J pickups have side lugs, you can't put a 4 in a 5 slot even if the pickup aperture would permit.
Having said that, I love those Barts! Originally teamed up with a John East preamp, that had sooo many possibilities that I swapped it to a 2 band EMG pre and made it active/passive switchable. Still a great range of tones.. I LOVE that bass! :D
In a 4 string slot, EMG are great, as zero9 said.. p'raps more modern sounding, inasmuchas they're clean, noiseless, and the frequency range is that bit broader without losing the character of what they're based on.
With something like a J or P bass, there have been so many incarnations that one major step is to decide on what kind of J you're after. Once you get to the decent ranges, they're ALL good!

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1426773760' post='2721791']
I'd opt for EMG's. A good allrounder, and excellent for studio use, where low noise is key. These probably have less 'character' than others...
[/quote]

Not sure about that... they certainly have a character IMO, but not like other (less subtle) pickups. I love EMGs and have a set in my Geddy Lee J B)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1426861424' post='2722848']

Not sure about that... they certainly have a character IMO, but not like other (less subtle) pickups. I love EMGs and have a set in my Geddy Lee J B)
[/quote]

You're spot on, that's what I was trying to convey. I'm currently using a set of JVX's on my Jazz, and want to get a standard J set for my next project. Great value from Thomann currently.

If I were you, I'd think about the preamp first. The stock pickups etc on the Sandbergs are great quality, and you should be able to get just about any sound you would want from them with the appropriate use of the onboard preamp.The (IME) little known fact about the onboard active preamp is that it is for tone-shaping, not merely to provide higher output as the bass players around here all seem to think (most of whom take the 'Everything on 11' approach)

If you're set that you want to change the pickups though, I'd highly recommend some of these, now available for 5-string for the first time!

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=bass&sub=vintage&pickup=60_pe&series=j_bass