Why become a member? ×

What is going on here.?

bubinga5

This is a specific song that at first i couldn't work out why with my timing, where i was going wrong.. but having listened to it properly, i think the bassist by accident or meant to do it, is playing behind the beat then playing on the beat. but loosing his way. its in 4/4 time obviously. then at 1.35 the solo starts.. if you count 1234 all the way until the singing starts, its just off., i know him and he's my predecessor, but i just can't quite work out what he's doing. i get the feeling that he's in a solo and lost time slightly and the singer is just waiting for the bass line. ? what do you think.? not knocking his playing was just interested to hear what others think.

its at 1.35. like i said count the 4 bar beat until he starts singing. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vjJGvCXy4I[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

To me, his 'widdly bits' (technical term...) at 1:42 and 1:48 don't fall back into the 'pocket'. After his chromatic run down at 1:56, though, he's back 'on it', but the singer comes in half a bar too early. The drummer should know what went on that day, and should have 'locked it down'. What does the drummer think happened..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1421276172' post='2659428']
To me, his 'widdly bits' (technical term...) at 1:42 and 1:48 don't fall back into the 'pocket'. After his chromatic run down at 1:56, though, he's back 'on it', but the singer comes in half a bar too early. The drummer should know what went on that day, and should have 'locked it down'. What does the drummer think happened..?
[/quote]there is something not right there, and with all respect its the bassists timing maybe. and i think the singer is following his lead.

Edited by bubinga5

I don't think he is comfortable with the track... so wouldn't be using it as any sort of reference really.
He doesn't come in in a natural place...so I think he missed the que....
If this was a one off, then ok, it happens, but I kind of think the way he played that is an indication
that he doesn't really know what he is going to do with it.

The drummer is tapping the beat, the bassist is ignoring that, skipping and adding beats [i]ad lib[/i]. There are 12 bars, and the singer comes in one beat too early (according to the drums...). True, there are no rules, one doesn't have to stick to 4/4, but I doubt if that solo would be twice the same structure. They should all be following the drummer, who adjusts 'on the fly' once the singer comes back in.

Edited by Dad3353