Why become a member? ×

Boost pedal options (not too clean, not too dirty....)

TRBboy

I'm not trying to take over the effects forum, honest.... :D

I would quite like to try a nice little boost type of pedal, but I'm not sure what's the best option. I don't want anything that's too dirty, or darkens the tone too much, but I do want a 'natural' sounding bit of break-up/drive, and a little warmth/mid bump would be okay too. That said, I want it to sound nice and open and clear, without any loss of highs or lows..... This is probably the best way I can describe it, but it's not great! Oh, and I don't want to spend too much either.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I was looking earlier at the Dr J Sparrow, because it looks like it might fit the bill. Also the TC Spark Boost.

Thanks for your help again! :D

I have found these to be really good, and can get from clean to quite dirty nicely, cheap as well, I really can't do anything but praise everything I have had from Abominable Electronics -

http://www.abominableelectronics.com/products/7247240-yeti-bite-double-jfet-boost-pedal
http://www.abominableelectronics.com/products/10900041-mini-bite-tiny-jfet-boost

One of my guitarists uses the Boo Boost pedal, which again is cheap and seems to do a great job. He uses it for a clean(ish) boost, so I couldn't comment on how much it breaks up as it goes on.

http://www.booinstruments.com/guitar-effects/pedals/boost-pedal-volume-gain-solo-solos/

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I had already seen the Boo Boost and wondered if it was any good, haven't heard of abominable before though, they look good! The Wren & Cuff looks great too, maybe a bit more than I wanted to spend, but worth it if it's THAT good.

The only thing I'm wondering with these single-knob type of boosts, is whether enough gain to get a little dirt/crunch means a big boost in level? Would I be better with something that has separate gain and level controls? I guess I can just back my amp gain off a bit though.

Also, does anyone have any experience of the Mooer pedals, or thoughts on that Dr J? After reading more, I think it's basically a Sansamp BDDI clone.

Finally, using a boost/drive in this application (as a kind of 'always on' preamp), is it best to go before or after a compressor?

Thanks again for the help, and sorry for the dumb questions! :D

[quote name='Seaweed' timestamp='1421109717' post='2657353']
I put my money on a Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk B. It fits right into your description!

Used it for quite some time now and it's always on. Makes everything sound better imo :)
[/quote]

This.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1421168381' post='2657967']
You could always run a clean boost before it so you can give it extra gain when you need it.
[/quote]

Yeah that's a good shout, maybe it's worth getting one of the cheaper options to play about with. Do I need to worry about driving my amp too hard? My basses are pretty high output anyway, and then through the comp.

The Phat Phuk B has an internal gain trim control, the main knob is just output volume. Also check out the Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker. Another one knob boost, this time the knob controls the pre gain only. The breakup is much more pleasant than the Phat Phuk, which I find transitions into harsh clipping / brick wall limiting pretty easily when playing agressively with a hot bass, which neuters your note attack somewhat.

Edited by dannybuoy

+1 for the Phat Phuk B.
It has an internal trim pot to tailor the breakup/dirt you get out of the pedal.
Amazing piece of gear, I had a phase were I only used this pedal straight into the amp and always on.
It makes my bass sound much better and it has only 1 knob! YAY!

[quote name='Seaweed' timestamp='1421109717' post='2657353']
I put my money on a Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk B. It fits right into your description!

Used it for quite some time now and it's always on. Makes everything sound better imo :)
[/quote]

The Phat Phuk B certainly seems to get a lot of love! They seem quite difficult to get hold of in the UK though, and a bit more than I wanted to spend....

Has anyone tried any of the pedals from Raygun FX? They look to have some good products, the Bass Crank! or Bass Driver look of interest to me. [url="http://fuzzboxes.co.uk/product-category/bass-fx"]http://fuzzboxes.co.uk/product-category/bass-fx[/url]