Why become a member? ×

(yet another) what bass to get?

2stringsmcginty

I'm looking at replacing my rather battered Tanglewood and have spotted a couple of guitars from 'East Coast' that are rather inexpensive.

really really inexpensive, which in other interests of mine usually means something has been left out quality-wise and it'll be ok to test the water but not much more.

Is this the case here?

Anyone heard of them?

Ta

Edited by 2stringsmcginty

Budget is £400 but I've got to sell my double bass first to fund it.

I'm into my 50's rock n roll and like that kind of sound but only play as part of the worship team at church (thankfully it's a lively church)

I have a long term shoulder injury which is why I sold a Westfield P bass copy for a tangle wood rebel as the westie was simply too heavy to play for more than a couple of songs.

Got knocked off my bike earlier in the year and couldn't even have an acoustic on my shoulder without pain so rushed out and got the double with the insurance money. Not taken to it at all

My shoulder has recovered and I can play the tanglewood again. Trying flatwounds at the moment as it's never sounded deep enough to my ear, unfortunately the neck is twisting from a repair undertaken 7 years ago involving a cheap gig bag, a strap breaking and a flight of concrete stairs...

So, to summarise, experimenting with flatwounds, want to play rock n roll for my own enjoyment but need to play Sunday mornings. Would be good to be able to play stood or sat (neither bass felt right when sat but that could be technique)

With your budget there must be hundreds of basses for you to choose from.

How about a Japanese made Bass Collection bass? Similar in style and electronics to your Tanglewood Rebel, but should be nicer all round?

Something like this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Collection-SB401-Bass-guitar-Right-handed-with-hard-case-/261701307793?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cee9d0d91

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1421026980' post='2656416']
50's influence, something with plenty of bottom end and around £400 to spend?
I'd be looking at an Epiphone Jack Cassidy.
[/quote]
I was thinking along similar lines with the Rivoli. Or maybe one of those Harley Benton Gretsch lookalikes, which look very nice but I don't think anyone from here has tested one of them out yet.

You might benefit from using a decent wide padded strap like the Comfort Strapp; quite a few people on here have similar bass weight/pain issues and have positive results when using decent straps. This might allow you to play something like a P bass again (with flats) and I can recommend Squier as well, especially the Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe series. You don't say where you are and what access you have to decent music stores around you but if you get a good strap first then try a few basses and see what you can handle - I think Epiphones are made by the Cort factory these days (who also make the Squier range) so ought to be pretty good quality in case you go for a semi-acoustic instrument.

I'm in Bury (lancs) but spend most of my time in Trafford Park. Not too far from PMT Manchester

I'll look into a strap as suggested ( perhaps see if one can be thrown in as a deal)

I usually play with thumb rested on a pickup, this doesn't appear to be an option on the semi acoustics suggested?

[quote name='2stringsmcginty' timestamp='1421059266' post='2656561']
I usually play with thumb rested on a pickup, this doesn't appear to be an option on the semi acoustics suggested?
[/quote]

There is at least a bit of pickup sticking out on some of them. Though, perhaps not as far out as the pickups on your Tanglewood. Surely you could add a thumb rest if you wanted one.

EDIT: Interesting, the HB60 is only available in white now. BTW: While I'm a fan of Harley Benton cheapies, I do think that with a £400 budget, you could get something better than the £152 HB60.

Edited by Annoying Twit

The wee Grestch Junior comes in around £200/240 and is lightweight too.

It's a short scale though but with the change from your budget there's plenty to try strings and straps :)

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/gretsch_g2224_junior_jet_ii_bass_guitar_sunburst.asp?gclid=CjwKEAiA_s2lBRCe1YPXxtSe-DcSJACCIh3L1znDxJf-maIAX_uRUmyQIbfJRKmRLYIE-vhk0oJnFxoCNarw_wcB

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/gretsch_g2214_junior_jet_bass_guitar_tobacco.asp?gclid=CjwKEAiA_s2lBRCe1YPXxtSe-DcSJACCIh3LkK3EwfqqX0KrQ_-IpduQY6DoCS--k-U_X6BBvHBCgBoCplDw_wcB

Just had a faff on:

Thunderbird, always liked the look, it's heavy but was comfortable when sat and stood
Jazz, fits with the rockabilly looks, think this one felt a little off centre
Gretch G5442 neck heavy, felt like I needed to hold it up but nice and easy to play, would need to get used to standing - I finger pluck
Ibanez SR400 light and slim neck, felt easy to get my fingers where they should be

Just keeping track :)

maybe ask about other ibanez's that they may be able to get in for you like the afb200bs

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/ibanez-afb200bs-artcore-semi-acoustic-4-string-brown-sunburst-bass.html

should still have the fingerability as the sr range but with a more retro look with picks to rest fringers on and still be light too

So, slightly unexpected event tonight being asked to take a break from being on music team at church.

Main reasons are, the guy leading it is finding things hard work as we've no drummer (he's at uni) and his wife is expecting.

I struggle to stay in time and learn the new songs guickly enough which I can't argue with and am not bitter about.

I'm now trying to decide, repair my battered tanglewood and make time to practice or scale the budget back a little and get something that feels good to play (my tanglewood felt better tonight with flats on) and get my competence back.

PMT Manchester will do part ex on my double which would give use of the conservatory back but I could sell privately and keep the money for when / if I'm back playing.

That's a bind about the church. Hope he handles things better when the baby's born.

Course this all gives you plenty of time to play lots of basses and get back in the swing of things.

The Bass Collection's AT mentioned are really good basses and very lightweight too.

Enjoy your time brother and you'll come to the right choice.

Right, determined to get my playing back up to the standard I used to be at.

Still need to have a playable bass so looking this weekend at seeing what PMT manchester offer for the double bass as px and if they have anything in my budget.

although still tempting to stick it out a bit longer, sell the double bass privately and get a new bass when I've got a bit of skill back - but a bass that's set up properly without a twist in the neck will make this easier...

Got a guideline price on the double at much less than I paid for it,

They've got an Ibanez AGB semi acoustic in with hard case and flats already on which felt nice to play both sat and stood, then, to compare with the AGB I had a go on the sr300 which I struggled with for a moment or two before getting the hang of it after which the semi didn't feel quite so good.

The semi felt good sat down but the neck felt longer than I'm used to when stood up but the neck felt like it was making me finger the frets properly and not be lazy.

edit - AGB not ABG

The double has been sold so I have a decrease in budget to £260 but that's enough for a Squire Jazz, the Ibanez AGB or the Ibanez SR300

Just got to decide between them!

Jazz has the 50's style that I like but a bit heavy

AGB light and feels good to play sat down but neck feels longer due to how the strap fits

SR300 feels familiar as it's similar to the tanglewood, but I fancy a change...

So, I've bought the Ibanez AGB,

The neck felt good, I've always had a slight issue with my ring finger not liking going quite where I want it to (the reason I failed to learn guitar) but I'm finding it much easier to play using my full left hand instead of just two / three fingers and comfortable doing so sat down.

Came with a hard flight case and strap, happy with the deal, only downside is tin's not bright red :)

• 2 months later...

[quote name='2stringsmcginty' timestamp='1429277053' post='2749964']
yeh, sorry left you all hanging for some time as DIY / house renovation projects have taken over
Here she is

[attachment=189735:photo.JPG]

A couple of scratches behind the strings just below the neck, presumably from long nails or a pick but nothing to detract from it

need to make time to play it now
[/quote]

Ooh, liking the look of that! How is the balance when it's on a strap - not too neck-heavy?