Why become a member? ×

Ampeg pf500/800 vs Markbass LMll

NoLogic69

Ive been using a Markbass LM11 for the last few years and it's been great, I love it. To the point I've taken no notice of new amps on the market at all. I was recently at a friends, playing through his big ol' tube Ampeg SVT and loved the big ballsy sound. I said I wish they made a little amp like my LM11 with that tone. With a smile on his face he picked up his ipad and showed me the pf500, where you been the last few years he asks?
Anyways I've since read reports of reliability issues with the 500 but the 800 seems to be ok. I'm just concerned that the 800 may be too loud?
Secondly, can it really replicate that wonderful warmth of a big ol' valve amp.I read somewhere it had a much smoother warmer tone than the Markbass, which would be great. I know there's plenty of clips on youtube, but through crappy computer speakers you can't tell. There's no decent music stores within 70 miles of me, so can't really try one out.
Any one had a LM11 and now using a PF500/800.
Cheers,

Mario.

No, but I've used both... never really been that big a fan of the Markbass altho I think they do things well, just that there seems something lacking to me. I instantly liked the PF500 but wouldn't buy one. Half of this is reliability, altho ppl seem to think that they have finally gotten over that, but the 800 never had the same issues. Soundwise, it is good as far as class D goes for me, but I prefer the TH500 which
is pretty basic and loud enough. Maybe the PF has a little more for some ppl as it has its boost buttons but I prefer more of an uncoloured amp which I feel the TH is.
I really liked the PF500 and PF cab demo but I had doubts it would do that at gig volume... so I never got it to that stage.
If I had to look harder at amp options for a lightweight package, then I would probably add the PF to my list..

Not much help, I guess...

I had a PF500 (it replaced a faulty PF350) and used it without any problem until it went to make room for a Walkabout. I used the 15" version of the matching cab and got a sound which I liked very much - look at my signature to give you an idea of what I was comparing to.

I would cheerfully still be using the PF500 if the Walkabout hadn't become available.

Hey, thanks guys.
Yeah Steve, I'm aware of the Mesa Walkabout, looks really good. I'm not after any OD, just a big warm valve tone with some balls!
Is the Mesa all about the OD, or does it do clean very well?
There's a vid of Bobby Vega on youtube playing through an old flip top, OMG, that's tone heaven!

Edited by NoLogic69

Someone once called the Walkabout a B15 on steroids and I reckon that nails it. It can do clean but can also do pretty gritty if you want. I use mine exactly as a B15 with enough volume for a decent sized gig - lovely valve warmth but with some decent volume. I play Precisions with flat-wounds so you can guess where my sound is coming from. The Walkabout is perfect and the PF500 was excellent (and light!!!).

Edited by Bassman Steve

Yeah I play a Ric & a Jazz both with flatwounds. That's given me something else to think about Steve.
I would go for the head as I gig with two 2x10's stacked vertically. Can really hear yourself on stage instead of all of your sound hitting the back of your legs!
Hmmmmm,now what.......

I`ve had both LM3 and PF500 Mario - loved both, if pushed to choose between them it would take me a long time to make the decision.

I`d probably discount the PF500 due to having had one good one, and one that didn`t get through it`s first rehearsal session, so bring the PF800 into consideration. Great Ampeg tone, through the PFs.

That said, I`ve just got an Aguilar Tonehammer 500 and find it to be very much like a modern Ampeg sound - you can dirty it up much more than the PF, but then you can also get it nice and clean like the LM - worth a consideration.

Well thanks guys, some great info there. Yeah I think I'll try a pf500 or pf800 if I can get one and see how I get on with it. For the price you can buy a used pf500 on here, I'll try it, if I don't like it I can just pass it on.
I must say though Steve I'm now very intrigued by the Mesa and if one comes along I may have to buy it.
Thanks again chaps, all the best!

I currently have a PF350 as my back-up head and I used a PF500 nonstop for about 18 months.

They sound great, but if you're after an SVT in a small box you'll be disappointed. Nothing using class D technology will ever come close. You do get that core Ampeg tone; that lovely low-mid burr that just jumps out at you. But, you know, no valves and no balls!

Truckstop