Why become a member? ×

January Composition Challenge - GET RECORDING!

Skol303

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1422002820' post='2667520']
You asked for it...
[/quote]

Excellent..! I had a guitar like that, once. The Bert Weedon 'Play in a Day' sorted it out, though, once I'd worked out how to put the strings on correctly. I was surprised that Security didn't get that drunk fellow off the stage, though. Still, well done for keeping the rhythm going, despite that.
That's the thing about experimental music: one has to be conscious [size=4]that it may end in failure. Kudos for trying, however; it takes courage to stand up and do that.[/size]

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1421966654' post='2667348']
Well we've got a ruddy good turnout for January already! Well done all :drinks:

If your work is still 'in progress' (like mine...) then you have until midnight on Saturday to knock it into shape. Or just say hell with it, and post it up anyway!

[i]"Art is never finished, only abandoned"[/i], and all that.
[/quote]

Mine'll be abandoned all right. Although, I think the correct term is "fly-tipping"

[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Right, I’m done![/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]An angsty, political, potty-mouthed protest song from me this month. Not a fluffy bunny in sight.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[color=#800000][b][size=4]I have to warn you that:[/size][/b][/color][/size][/font]
[list]
[*][size=4]This track contains slap bass.[/size]
[*][size=4]It also contains quite a lot of swearing. So please [i]don’t[/i] to listen to it within earshot of anyone who might be offended, young or old. If it doubt, just give it a miss![/size]
[/list]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]So to be clear…[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]With that disclaimer out of the way, here it is:[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]https://soundcloud.com/skollob/bankers-got-a-shotgun[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Bass, guitars and croaky vocal by yours truly. The drums have been put together using the Factory Soundbank in Reason (DAW).[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Feedback very welcome, as always.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]I’ll be posting up the voting thread sometime after midnight this evening.[/size][/size][/font]
[font=Helvetica][size=3]
[size=4]Cheers all! A great start to the new year :drinks:[/size][/size][/font]

Right. I pretty much meant everything I said about my effort this month. To put it nicely, I struggled.
And now, the time has run out so, rather than totally abandoning it, I've uploaded it because I'll never get anywhere if I just abandon everything that isn't working.
I'm not sure in what way, but I need to approach next months competition a bit differently.
Anyway, here it is
https://soundcloud.com/alittlebitrobot/space-rabbits

I did at least keep it brief for you :D

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1421851165' post='2665760']
Like a truncated version of this? I don't quite dare, yet...

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyGMI0q8o6Y[/MEDIA]
[/quote]

LOL , I had a good chuckle at 57s , he takes the horn from his mouth and gives it a dirty look like it wasn't working correctly and made the wrong noise :lol:

[size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'll start my mini-reviews again, this time putting them out in random order (Yes, I really do have an Excel sheet to do that. Sad, isn't it..? [/font][/color] :blush:[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] ). Here's the first...[/font][/color][/size]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/254194-play-of-the-day-space-rabbits-from-alittlebitrobot/"][size=3]'Space Rabbits', from alittlebitrobot...[/size][/url]

[size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]It's going to be a strange one, this month, with such disparity. All of excellent quality, though, despite the modesty of some of the compositors. The suspense begins..! :)[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1422394486' post='2672214']
I can see why not many people enter. The competition is very strong. All very good compositions in thier own way. Well done to all that entered a piece.
[/quote]

It's why hardly anyone votes that confounds me. And this despite all of Skol and Dad's promotional work. The only time there were lots of votes was when 13 Guitars offered a free custom bass to the winner a couple of years ago. Ten times as many votes then. Maybe it's about the stakes.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1422402062' post='2672352']
It's why hardly anyone votes that confounds me. And this despite all of Skol and Dad's promotional work. The only time there were lots of votes was when 13 Guitars offered a free custom bass to the winner a couple of years ago. Ten times as many votes then. Maybe it's about the stakes.
[/quote]

Odd, as the prize went to the composer, not the voters..! :lol:
Maybe the rub lies therein..? Perhaps there needs to be some kind of stimulus to incite folks to vote, such as a raffle open to those who listen, with a signed autograph of Skol303 offered to tempt them..? They'd be flocking in in droves, no..?
The phenomenon that puzzles me is the number of folks that listen to the tracks (Soundcloud helpfully counts them, so we have a fair idea...), but then don't vote. I suppose one could imagine that not one single entry strikes a chord with some, albeit with difficulty, but the numbers rarely add up in the poll as much as Soundcloud. Still, the real benefit is to the entrants and those who enjoy the quality works presented. The voting is not much more than trimming, icing on the cake, so to speak. We all know that Skol is going to snaffle the cup three times out of four anyway, don't we..? :lol: :P
([i]Just kidding; it's all open and above board, honest, guv.[/i].. :ph34r: )

When I get a spare minute... ;) ...I plan to try drumming up some prizes for these monthly challenges and ideally, some sponsorship for the Rec forum in general. I think that would give it a much higher profile on Basschat and encourage more people to take interest. Need a few carrots to help lead those horses to water, etc, etc.

[size=8]BUT![/size] [i]< that's a big but.[/i] People taking little interest in listening to other people's music is sadly quite typical of musicians' forums. At least those I've been involved in, which are this one and the Propellerhead software forum before it got closed down in January. Nothing to do with me, honest guv! It's their new policy. Shut down the knitting circle and concentrate on other things.

And to some extent, that's what BC is. A talking shop for bass players, rather than necessarily a community of music-makers (very similar but actually quite different things, IMO). All of which is perfectly fine. But I wholeheartedly agree that there's more to be done in persuading people to contribute to the challenges and importantly, support them by voting. We'll keeping banging the drum, anyway! Especially Douglas.... it's in his genes to bang drums.

As for me snaffling the cup... clearly, you all need to include more expletive lyrics in your songs. That much is ******* obvious, innit? :P

But heh. The fat lady is a way off singing on this month yet and I fancy Old Ben for the win. He's currently in my shortlist of two and I'm damned if I can choose.

Edited by Skol303

I stumbled about on here for a long time before i even became aware of the composition comp. there may be quite a few dummys like me out there !
would it be possible to have a little music player in the corner of the screen that has all the tracks[for that month] ,
so that whatever bit of the forum your on you can play them
whilst window shopping Fodera bass's or whatever ?

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1422698195' post='2675689']
I stumbled about on here for a long time before i even became aware of the composition comp. there may be quite a few dummys like me out there !
would it be possible to have a little music player in the corner of the screen that has all the tracks[for that month] ,
so that whatever bit of the forum your on you can play them
whilst window shopping Fodera bass's or whatever ?
[/quote]

^ That is a damn fine idea! And I've seen it done on other forums.

I can't promise anything, but I'll ask the site Admins about it.

Cheers! :)