Why become a member? ×

Barefaced - replacing the cloth with a grille

Alfie Noakes

I don't know if yours is second hand, or what generation.

Obviously if it's new, you should be able to swap but I don't know how the cloth is attached on the new Gen3 models and on older models there was extra glueing needed to mount fixing positions for the cloth versions.

Anyway. Should it be a second hand model, it shouldn't be too difficult to get a grill. Alex might reply and be able to supply you one for your model, assuming the new grills fit your super 12 (dimensions on the newer ones might be different)

Or you could buy the similar chicken wire type they had on older models, cut to size and screw it on.

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1419757517' post='2642387']
I recently asked Alex if was possible to go the other way - from metal to cloth - and was told it couldn't be done. I have now sold my S12.
[/quote]

Thought so, I do believe they have construct the fronts different for different mounting methods.

I've converted one the other way (from metal grille to cloth), though mine was a prototype cab and I don't know if it is identical to the later S12s. The metal grille version is constructed differently from the cloth version as it has a raised wooden section around the edge of the baffle to support the grille. On mine this was glued with a fairly soft adhesive and could be carefully pried off to make room for mounting a cloth grille and frame, but if they later changed adhesive I can see why converting metal grille to a cloth grille might not be possible.
Converting a cloth grille cab to a metal grille ought to be possible, but you'd need to add that wooden section around the edge of the baffle to support it.

I've just had a look at my Dubsters - the baffle looks to be about 3/4" back from the grilles - I'd get some substantial steel grille cut to fit the internal size of your cab and mount, slightly below the outside edge level, using black wood screws and rubber cabinet feet (or doorstops, if enough room) - available from any DIY store. The rubber will damp the grille, as well as holding it away from the baffle........

:)

Edited by taunton-hobbit