Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1419337086' post='2638840']
The speaker experts here must despair of ingnoramuses such as myself taking technical specifications and completely misinterpreting them. I'm sure we give much credence to the saying 'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"!

That said, I can't help but wonder; when using multiple speakers does the overall Xmax remain the same as for each individual speaker, or is the movement of the whole system considered?

For example, with four speakers with a 1mm Xmax, is it still considered a 1mm overall limit before distortion, or does the simultaneous cone movement equate to a 4mm Xmax in relation to the same signal?

Thanks, Andy
[/quote]

Four people can each leap a maximum of 4 ' each when apart. What is the maximum distance any of them can jump when they are together..? Not sure if it answers your query or not. :unsure:[size=4] [/size]

does the simultaneous cone movement equate to a 4mm Xmax in relation to the same signal?
[/quote]It does.What you're really comparing is displacement, T/S spec Vd. If you use a single driver with 4mm xmax or four drivers with 1mm xmax the resulting system Vd, and therefore system displacement limited output, is the same.

From your example if you had a 1 x 12 cab with an Xmax of 1mm
and you had a 4 x 12 cab with an xmax of 1mm on each cone, would it be the same. Yes your limitation are the same before distorting, but you would only need to drive the 4 x 12 cab 25% as hard to get the same displacement. so hopefully you will not distort it
I am always worried reading about the love for the latest 1 x 12 cab and that people reading the reviews are thinking a particular 1 x12 will cover every need. Horses for courses.
I have owned powerfull 4 x12 cabs in the past when i played larger venues but I dont need those sound pressure levels now. e.g. I also use an EA m-line with with a 500watt amp, but know its limitations its just for jazz so this 200 watt speaker with a small xmax will probably not see 30 < 50 watts on my gigs. I know i could damage it on a rock gig with that amp so I would take my 700watt 2 x12 and doubt if i put more than 200 watts through it.

For example, with four speakers with a 1mm Xmax, is it still considered a 1mm overall limit before distortion, or does the simultaneous cone movement equate to a 4mm Xmax in relation to the same signal?
[/quote]

Xmax is a physical limit on the cone excursion of a single driver, so each cone can move a maximum of 1mm without distortion regardless of how many drivers are in the cab, but if each of the cones moves 1mm then the total volume of air displaced (Vd, as Bill FitzYoda says) is four times as much with four drivers as with one.