Why become a member? ×

Building a cricket bat!

Truckstop

Hello all,

A couple of years ago my Dad came by with a few pieces of cherry wood he'd cut for me for a bass. I didn't have the heart to tell him that the pieces were too small in every respect to make into a full size instrument so I've just left them in the garage to season. At the time, a Steinberger style bass didn't even cross my mind, but seeing as someone on here is selling some headless necks I thought I might give it a go!

So I'm after dimensions. If there's a BCer out there with a Steinberger or Hohner B2A, I'd really appreciate some measurements! I don't want to make an exact replica, but I would like something to work from.

Basic spec so far:

4 string
PJ pup configuration
Passive
Pickup select switch (bridge, bridge/neck, neck)
Volume and tone knobs
Graphite headless neck
Cherry body wood
High gloss natural finish

Not sure on the bridge yet, need to research!

Anyone got any tips or tried to build one before?

Truckstop

Edited by Truckstop

[quote name='roger' timestamp='1419266139' post='2638149']
I've picked up one of these necks from kiwi and I gotta say it looks a great neck, I was going to go Alembic SC/king bass body style, we'll have to keep in touch and share resources, cheers
[/quote]

Definitely! I'll need some words of advice when it comes to installing the bridge! Also, haven't done any research with regards to bridges at all so if you have good information wth regards to them then I'd appreciate your help a lot!

Cheers

Alex

Edited by Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1419267693' post='2638172']
Oh god, everything!

Body length, width (at each end), depth/thickness, scale length, distance from string break at the bridge to end of the neck.

Position of strap buttons might be useful too!

Thanks a lot Eric, sending loads of Xmas cheer over :)

Alex
[/quote]

I'll get on the case over the next couple of days.
All the best to you and yours - your folks still got the pub??

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1419286163' post='2638465']
Two necks left if you're interested in purchasing one, Alex.
[/quote]

Mmmm. what necks are these?

:)

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1419286163' post='2638465']
Two necks left if you're interested in purchasing one, Alex.
[/quote]

Dog skint at the moment pal, and will be until March!! Your necks were the inspiration, I'm not sure I'll be able to afford one. Just want to get the body ready first and then I'll scour the market for one :)

Thanks!

Alex

No, sadly not Eric :(

Too many hours and not enough reward, Punch took us for everything! With a baby I didn't want to be working 7 days a week and evenings so I've got a regular salaried office job and music work at the weekends!

Many thanks Eric, no rush. I'll probably begin when the weather gets better!

Alex

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1419320376' post='2638625']
Mmmm. what necks are these?
:)
[/quote]
Gaze apon my signature and all may be revealed...

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1419323079' post='2638657']
Dog skint at the moment pal, and will be until March!! Your necks were the inspiration, I'm not sure I'll be able to afford one. Just want to get the body ready first and then I'll scour the market for one :)
[/quote]
In this kind of build, the body is the element that everything else is attached to. Generally its a better idea to assemble everything else and then build the body.

• 2 months later...

Correspondence with TheGreek has motivated me into updating this thread a little bit. Not much to report, I've managed to source most of the parts, but still after a neck. I'm aware there's a few out there but, as before, don't have much money to spend on this as yet.

Here's the things I now have;

P and J pups from a old Yamaha RBX
Wiring loom and pickup selector switch courtesy of KiOgon
Bridge assembly from a Hohner B2A
Knobs from a Yamaha RBX
Strap pins from my spare parts drawer
Well seasoned Cherry body blank

I'll be copying the shape of the RBX control cavity so as to utilise the cavity cover that came with it!

Steinbergers et al. come with a strap button extension arm so as to make wearing the instrument more comfortable. I'm thinking of ways I can make one. The best idea I have so far is to get some metal tubing, plug one end with a dowel and screw the button into it. I can then either affix the extension into the body by drilling a hole in the side of the body for it to sit in, or by shaping a channel in the back for it to lay in which I can then secure in place using bolts or something.

Progress is slow, haven't even shaped the body or anything yet! I can't really do much until I have a neck. As Kiwi pointed out, I need to know how the neck and bridge work together before I can design the body and build it!

Cheers

Alex

Surely you don't need any dimensions as for a Steinberger style instrument form follows function. Some if you have all your hardware (I would suggest you get it all before starting) then:

1. Length = scale length - length of neck + size of neck pocket + extra length of bridge behind the saddles.

2. Width = enough room to fit the pickups and a control cavity and neck pocket

3. Depth = enough room to fit the pickups and controls (or the same as any other solid bass)

Then it's just a question of joining all of these up in an aesthetically pleasing outline. Job done.

Edited by BigRedX

• 1 month later...