Why become a member? ×

Pick up foam on vintage Precision

chrisanthony1211

The foam under the pickups on my 71 precision are pretty much knackered! I currently have a new brass plate under the pick ups with new foam, my question is whether I would reduce the value of this bass if I was to take the old foam off the old plate which I have stashed away, put some new foam on and put the original pick up plate back in? I don't like doing anything to a vintage bass but it appears to me that this may be an exception if the foam has perished! Advice much appreciated.

Edited by chrisanthony1211

If possible - I'd switch out the foam, but keep it as intact as possible, and with the bass. Just for the sake of having it. Kinda like having the original receipt.

As it is - a non-original plate - it'll barely change the value of it it most people's eyes.
As long as the pickup(s), neck, body, finish, tuners, electrics, and extras like covers, strap buttons, and thumb rests are original - it's a very genuine example.
As long as the neck, body, finish and pickup is original - even if rewound, and the neck has been refretted - it's still a fairly original bass. Oh and a bass with period correct replacements (real, not copies) is, in my view - the real deal. Doesn't need to have lived on the same bass for 30+ years for it to be the real deal.

I don't think the foam will add or detract from the value of the bass
I've not seen one advertised, where they specifically mentioned "original foam" lol

In fact, foam is the very sort of material that degenerates over time (just look at the back of an old carpet)
I wouldn't worry - but replace it, and keep the old foam if you feel you need to.....

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1419333415' post='2638793']
Originally the "Foam" Fender used was weatherstripping. There are loads of threads on it over on the Fender Forums and some EXTREMELY knowledgable people on there!
[/quote]

This. I buy new black tight weatherstipping and stick it to new replacement covers to get the identical effect. I think Fender is even selling it these days but it's just weatherstripping.

I can't imagine replacing the foam would effect the value measureably.