Why become a member? ×

Volume

Kevin Dean

Since gigging in an originals band, where we only seem to play at venues with FOH, all I need on stage is an amp as a monitor for myself. A fair few gigs we`ve played the provided amps have been 100 watt 1x15 combos and they`ve had plenty enough - and that`s without bass coming hrough the monitors as I`m not too keen on that. Sure, for pubs where there`s no FOH I think a bigger rig is needed, but it does amaze me how loud some people play - I`ve been there and only really noticed it when I left thos bands (inevitably metal bands with 412s).

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1418671071' post='2632217']
Ours has a 1X12" Marshall valve job, sounds really great. It's 40W so can be bloody loud, but has a half-power option - that works really well.
He's pretty cool about keeping the volume down - I'm guessing he's not compensating for anything. ;)
[/quote]
my guy doesnt need to play loud, he's an incredible lead player so doesnt need volume to hide his playing
i think at times guitarists use volume to hide their playing

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1418672903' post='2632242']
Any musician that has to be loud to get 'their tone' has bought the wrong gear.
[/quote]

This again.

Want Fender amp breakup at low volumes? Get a Deluxe Reverb. Still too loud? Get a Princeton Reverb.

Most guitarists I play with use Fender combos and many of the older guys still have their Twins at home. Fortunately they don't often bring them out.

Both guitarists in my cover band use 45w Fender Super Reverb 410 combos and both are too loud. Not quite Twin Reverb loud but IMO too loud for what we are doing.

On the other hand they don't get told to turn down very often, so what do I know!!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1418683785' post='2632413']
Both guitarists in my cover band use 45w Fender Super Reverb 410 combos and both are too loud.
[/quote]

Bloody hell, especially with the both of 'em crashing away at the same time. *Posts emoticon of face holding hands to ears with eyes shut*

[quote name='notable9' timestamp='1418854935' post='2634208']
Guy I worked with use a 15 watt Session combo...beautiful sound and just the right volume. Guitars dont need anything bigger than 15 watts.
[/quote]The best sounding pub band I've seen had one of these , The bass player had a Peavey mrk3 combo , The drumer had a Tama kit , & they had a Peavey XR600 PA , they bassed the volume around the bass drum .