Why become a member? ×

Want a 5 string and fretless

badboy1984

Getting rid of my MM Bongo 4 HS tomorrow since I don't use the bass anymore and I use my P and J 99% of the time. After going in circle I realise I need a 5 string and fretless more then the MM tone.

I'm on limited budget and I can't blow all my MM sale to a new bass.

Saw a Aria STB 5 string jazz bass for sale in my local area and I guess I can rip the frets out of the aria bass and use that as fretless?

Ideally I wanted a unline fretless but for the time being i guess this is the more cost efficient to have a 5 string and fretless?

Also are their any unline fretless 5 jazz neck in the maket to buy to replace?

Just bare in mind the Aria 5 string I'm looking at is price at £100. Altho my Bongo sale will generate abit of money but like I said most of the money will go else where (nothing to do with bass) ......

I look at this like a small project unless something decent comes up which convince me to paid abit more.

Fretless is something I'm more interest then 5 string.

Edited by badboy1984

I'm going for one of these Harley Bentons in the New Year, since the general consensus on Basschat seems to be that with HB you get a lot (relatively) for little outlay:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_b_550fl_bk_progressive_series.htm

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1418332546' post='2629345']
I'm going for one of these Harley Bentons in the New Year, since the general consensus on Basschat seems to be that with HB you get a lot (relatively) for little outlay:
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_b_550fl_bk_progressive_series.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...sive_series.htm[/url]
[/quote]

You may have to file the nut if you're going for the fretless. The one I bought needed it (but it was good otherwise, apart from the tacky controls).

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1418343048' post='2629470']

You may have to file the nut if you're going for the fretless. The one I bought needed it (but it was good otherwise, apart from the tacky controls).
[/quote]

Yes, for that price I would expect to do some finishing tweaking, which I don't mind doing myself.
But in what way do you find the controls tacky? To look at, or in operation?

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1418371803' post='2629567']
I think I kinda sorted for now. A friend of my got a Westone unline fretless bass lying in his house for over 5 years and he will borrow the bass to me for long term or give it to me if I like the bass.

I guess is a good way to try fretless without buying one to see if i like it or not.
[/quote]

Result! Nice one, and have fun :)

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1418346903' post='2629497']
Yes, for that price I would expect to do some finishing tweaking, which I don't mind doing myself.
But in what way do you find the controls tacky? To look at, or in operation?
[/quote]

A bit of both. One of the knobs was loose (not properly secured, so you were always turning it against the pot rather than against the body), and another was mounted off true (not perpendicular). Quality was about what you'd expect at that price and at that time.

This would be four or five years ago, mind - they may well have improved a lot since then. I sold it to my boss a couple of years ago, and he hasn't fired me yet, so it can't have been that bad :)