Why become a member? ×

Music Shops in London?

Shaun

Any suggestions on music shops in London that have decent bass equipment in stock.

I know Soho Sound House and Sound Control have closed down, and The Bass Centre has closed its show room (in in favour of turning internet based - I think).

I have checked out the Bass Cellar.

Are there any other lesser known shops out there?

I much prefer checking out equipment before buying it.

Edited by Shaun

Guest BassKS

Bass Centre. its relocated somewhere south of the river but its a great place with awesome gear, and a great repair person. He knows a lot and can do a lot..

The Bass Centre shop's gone hasn't it?

Does anyone know where I can take my amp to be serviced quickly? I used to take it to the Bass Centre, but that's a challenge now. Is their amp tech guy still around?

The gallery is amazing. They're chock full of Epifani cabs at the moment, so if you do go, wear a GASmask :)

Is this info from their website incorrect or out of date?

The Bass Centre Limited
Business Reg No: GB577838868
3 Tenter Ground, Brune Street, London, E1 7NH, UK

The store, including our in-house workshop, now occupies dedicated, air conditioned premises on the edge of the 'square mile' in the city, minutes from Liverpool St. tube and mainline station, with free parking on Saturdays right outside.

[quote name='Monz' post='256447' date='Aug 6 2008, 04:37 PM']Is this info from their website incorrect or out of date?

The Bass Centre Limited
Business Reg No: GB577838868
3 Tenter Ground, Brune Street, London, E1 7NH, UK

The store, including our in-house workshop, now occupies dedicated, air conditioned premises on the edge of the 'square mile' in the city, minutes from Liverpool St. tube and mainline station, with free parking on Saturdays right outside.[/quote]

That's where they moved to from Wapping a few years back.

Guest BassKS

They used to be in Tenter Gnd but now theyve gone south of the river somewhere I dont know. They do have a new number that the interested people could go and see. My suggestion is to look on their website for anything you need, phone them up and then go to the new place... chances are it will look more like a warehouse but you will probably get the best deal in any shop as they do not have to pay high rates and employ only 3 people.

What is the situation with the Bass Centre then? Last time I went the physical shop was closed (although the online shop still operates out of the Brune street address). Can anyone who's actually been there in the last week or two confirm this one way or another?

Although I have to say that the customer service on the last couple of occasions I went while it was still open as a real shop left much to be desired. So unless it's had a major overhaul in that department too I not too bothered...

In the mean time go to the Gallery. The selection is great as is the service.

[quote name='brummie' post='256855' date='Aug 7 2008, 03:12 AM']Peter Cook's is good if your near Hanwell (that's just west of Ealing a bit) the shop is small but they have tons of basses in stock - it just takes them a couple of minutes to fetch them. Google them they have a web site.
Cheers[/quote]

I agree that Peter Cooks are good, very cheap, I've bought quite a few guitars from them.

hmmm, interesting thread as I was going to be asking the same thing.

Im still looking for a nice EB3 / Les Paul Bass I can spend some money on (have a bit of inheritance and spending quite a bit on a bass is how who left me the cash would like it spent) and it seems LAHHNNDAAAHHHNNN is the only place I can find such things.

My question is - are the Denmark St shops "open to haggling"? Theres some nice stuff knocking around there but they overprice things by about 10%. If I could get that 10% removed (ish) then they could have my cash. Anyone had haggling success out there?

[quote name='Stag' post='257018' date='Aug 7 2008, 10:47 AM']hmmm, interesting thread as I was going to be asking the same thing.

Im still looking for a nice EB3 / Les Paul Bass I can spend some money on (have a bit of inheritance and spending quite a bit on a bass is how who left me the cash would like it spent) and it seems LAHHNNDAAAHHHNNN is the only place I can find such things.

My question is - are the Denmark St shops "open to haggling"? Theres some nice stuff knocking around there but they overprice things by about 10%. If I could get that 10% removed (ish) then they could have my cash. Anyone had haggling success out there?[/quote]

As I have said before IMO Rokas is great they are open to haggling.

I've never tried haggling with the Bass Celler but I have a hatred for the place and I think if you tried to haggling the guy might stab you. :)

It's spelt Rockers and yes, they're on Denmark St.

[url="http://www.denmarkstreetonline.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&shop=5"]http://www.denmarkstreetonline.co.uk/index...d=20&shop=5[/url]

Edited by Tee

Ill give them a look too.

Seriously though, have people definitely had haggling success.... and exactly how successful were you in your haggling? ( I feel all very Life Of Brian when I keep going on about haggling, lol)

[quote name='Tee' post='257055' date='Aug 7 2008, 11:27 AM']It's spelt Rockers and yes, they're on Denmark St.

[url="http://www.denmarkstreetonline.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&shop=5"]http://www.denmarkstreetonline.co.uk/index...d=20&shop=5[/url][/quote]

Well I'll be damned I thought it was Rockers but I bought a soft case from there for my Squire and it says "Rokas" on the front, it was one of there own brand ones maybe the embroiders got it wrong.

[quote name='Tee' post='257055' date='Aug 7 2008, 11:27 AM']It's spelt Rockers and yes, they're on Denmark St.

[url="http://www.denmarkstreetonline.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&shop=5"]http://www.denmarkstreetonline.co.uk/index...d=20&shop=5[/url][/quote]

Part of the same chain as music ground and bass cellar... I might be wrong but I doubt you will get any differences in price between all their stores... It seems to me that Bass centre and Bass Gallery are the other two dealers down there.

Just my .02