Why become a member? ×

Speak Up

blue

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1416819037' post='2613781']

Interesting one: I don't want to join a band and be hit with a bill to cover a repair on the PA, on day 1, for wear and tear from the last 10 years use. Isn't it better to simply agree that the owner of the PA (as there is inevitably a single owner; the guy who would keep it in the event that the band splits) should charge an agreed "rent" for the gear for each show.
[/quote]

That's what I always propose.

Alternatively if the PA is funded by the band out of money we have earned as a band I just walk away in the end. I see it as a legitimate expense.

I'm not interested in stumping up several hundred quid to get a PA for the band to start off.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1416799260' post='2613707']
You raise some good points there. I would expect to be paid less I were backing a know artist. But I'd like to see sone evidence of box - office value to the writer if this was performing in a local bar band.

I guess the next point is; how many original tracks do the band have to play in its repertoire for that writer to start expecting an enhanced cut.
[/quote]

Depends what sort of unit you join, but if you were a stand-in dep... you would either be able to call the fee... because you have the credeence to do so, or they would determine what the gig paid..and most bands tends to have more than just a general split as they have other costs, like website, admin, P.A split, etc etc ... so a 5 piece would be looking to pat those extra costs from a 6th 'member' split.
They may even have quite a complicated spreadsheet for this... so the bills get paid from the 6th member splitr which funds a kitty
which pays out these bills as they occur.
So just because a gig grosses £300 from a pub, you wont get/expect an exact split on that, IME..

Of course, there are bands that do exactly that... but if someone does extra work, it is probably better to pay them...before they start causing an issue about it..???

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1416819020' post='2613780']
I'm with Blue on this one. Pooling funds can have unfortunate consequences. The first 'pro' band I was in kept back money from gigs to pay for a PA and an old van, with everyone's agreement. Despite having vaguely discussed some method of compensation if someone left the band, when I decided to go I was given nothing, although I gave lots of notice and even helped finding a replacement. Understandably, the new member didn't inherit my 'share' - the remaining 4 members shares increased from 20% to 25%. I suppose we should have put it in writing, but it left a bit of a bad taste, although I was much happier moving on. It later transpired that when the band split, the singer, who had the foresight to have the van registered in their name, took the lot! There wasn't enough money in it for anyone to get letigious. Suffice to say it was a good lesson in band/money management.
[/quote]

This is true..which is why when I bought the lights and P.A tops, they are mine. I 'hire' them to the band but they are my asset to keep.
The idea being that over a period of time..the band may well pay off the cost and then own them... but we all know where that ends,
so after a few tense 'discussions', someone buys and owns and hires..and the singer walks away with nothing :lol: :lol: :lol:
I agree that band communial ownership needs a LOT of thought and agreement, but if you fall out... what then hapends..??
It is ugly. That is why I OWN what I OWN.

We are used to hiring in kit anyway...as what we have will not scale up too far ( the limit is around 200-300 ppl ) so it is a calcalated cost for most gigs.

In many ways, I feel really privileged to be in my band. I'm not by any means what you would call an experienced or time-served musician - only been playing properly for 6 years and still feel like I have much to learn. I'm really excited about the music we're creating together. We agreed at the start that whatever we create is created by the band, so equal songwriting credit irrespective of whose idea it originally was. We have a (admittedly not bulging) band fund into which any gig monies goes into and we talk about how it's spent (like studio time for instance).

If I have to have a criticism, it's probably the fact that in a way we're all too nice - none of us are particularly made of the "you should book our band" type stuff. Getting gigs has been slow and infrequent, and so far I'm the only one who's been doing much about it, and that's because someone has to. Diplomacy and equality makes for a pleasant band to spend time with, but without someone steering the boat, it just kinda drifts along. I guess I've become the guy at the wheel, so I suppose I should just get better at it. I (mostly) taught myself how to play bass, so I guess I can teach myself this getting gigs/promotion malarky as well ;)

Either that or get a manager/promoter...

Definitely get an agent...but expect to pay them for doing something you don't/wont/can't.

Tell them the fee TO THE BAND, and they can put their fee on top. Unless they travel with you to the gig, you'll
probably have to collect the whole fee so you'll know what they charge of top...
Anything between 10 and 20 % is 'fair' but you need to reconcile yourselves with the definition of 'fair'

Being a good and easy band to work with has its own benefits..but you bring in someone to compliment
you and do things you don't have the time etc etc for...???

As with all these things..talk about them FIRST, so there are no surprises down the line... as time will erode
things and other stuff will get in the way. This is why I always like the financial aspect as that in effect can bribe
people to a more narrow manageable convivial path..??

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1416819037' post='2613781']
Interesting one: I don't want to join a band and be hit with a bill to cover a repair on the PA, on day 1, for wear and tear from the last 10 years use. Isn't it better to simply agree that the owner of the PA (as there is inevitably a single owner; the guy who would keep it in the event that the band splits) should charge an agreed "rent" for the gear for each show.
[/quote]

I got the bad taste in my mouth for band funds when I joined a band, and Originals band back in 2009. The band leader wanted me to help pay off the bill for their completed CD. I never contributed a cent. I knew the guy was a crook right then and there. We played Shank Hall ( Spinal Tap ) and pulled in $900.00 and he didn't pay anyone. I quit the next day.

Live and learn,

Pick or guess who the crook was (band leader) is in the pic.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1416869748' post='2614644']
Err, they all look pretty shifty, except the dude with the T-Bird, of course!
[/quote]

Interesting, I was going to say the samething. :D

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1416874749' post='2614701']
Is it the guy wearing my jacket ??
[/quote]

We have a winner! However, your jacket is actually a lot cooler than his.

The guy was a good song writer however just an awful person and he couldn't relate to people and it came across on stage. Doing stuff like saying thank you in French and telling people he was from London. A real "tool".

And example of his work, he's strictly a home recording guy. Geeeeez?

By the way, I personally do not think any of those comments on the video are for real.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTXvnabcQbA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=sTXvnabcQbA[/url]

Blue

Edited by blue