Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass MoMmark 500w or 800w frame

Kevin Dean

I have the 500 and its ample for all the gigs I do - pubs, relatively big stages, outdoor festivals, etc. it's the 500 frame and I have the valve pre and classic MB eq. Great amps, if you need the solid state preamp I have one going spare!

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1415355822' post='2599477']
I've got the 800 and it's the best amp I've ever had in 25 years and a LOT of rigs. :) tbh I'm sure it's not 'actually' 800watts, but it is reeeeeally loud! Works lovely with the valve pre-amp too.
[/quote]This is the 800 watt Mo Mark Frame I take it ?

I've done pubs and reasonability sized clubs comfortably using backline only with my 500w frame without ever needing to go past noon or one o clock on the master volume (input gain set at 10 o clock). For bigger gigs we've hired in a PA and I've DI'd into that. I would be surprised if you needed more than the 500w frame. Are you able to try them both out to see if you think there is any difference in tone or response between the 500w and 800w frames?

Apparently they are a bit different sounding - which I was surprised about. Over on Talkbass there are some threads re this I believe. Not heard the 800 myself, did have the 500 and it was regular Markbass loud, which for me is Gain on 5, Voulme on 4, in a fairly loud punk band, playing a passive Precision.

I found a test report that stated the 500w frame produced 534 watts continues & 659 watts peak , The 600w digital frame 488 continues & 497 peak , The 800watt 635 continues & 817 peak . I'll probably stick to the 500w frame as it has the same power sectiom as in my Little rocker & all the other similar heads .

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1415434937' post='2600223']
I found a test report that stated the 500w frame produced 534 watts continues & 659 watts peak , The 600w digital frame 488 continues & 497 peak , The 800watt 635 continues & 817 peak . I'll probably stick to the 500w frame as it has the same power sectiom as in my Little rocker & all the other similar heads .
[/quote]
You'd be best to try each out & hear which one you prefer. ignore how many watts it says, it's pretty much an irrelevant figure.