Why become a member? ×

NAD Genz Shuttle 9.2

ern500evo

So, having surrendered to GAS again, I'm now the owner of a Shuttle 9.2. Been using TC heads for a while through a Barefaced Big Twin 2, first an RH450 and now the 750. I'll say at this point that I do like my 750, I just fancied trying something else and seeing as every review I've read on the 9.2 seems to have not a bad word to say about it, I thought why not. First thing that struck me is how much smaller than the RH it is, I've never seen one in the flesh so that was quite a surprise. Plugged it in at home, everything flat and immediately get a pleasing tone ( tried it with my 'Ray, Bongo and Warwick). Quick glance out the window, neighbour not home, right let's give it the acid test! Plug the Bongo in, crank the volume up a bit, dial in some bottom end and,GOOD LORD!! It sounds immense, clean, punchy and powerful, exactly what i wanted to hear from the Bongo. Got a busy week with rehearsals, gigs and a jam night so plenty of chance to see how it sits in the mix, but from what I've heard so far I think I'm gonna be very happy with this little fella!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1415120735' post='2596919']
I did the same - had a RH750 but it wasn't the sound in my head.

Then I got a 9.2 and all was well with the world!
[/quote]
I like my RH, it just doesn't seem to suit my Bongo as well as my other basses.

Guest monsterthompson

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415124935' post='2596992']
Stingray and Genz 9.2 FTW :D
[/quote] Dang. I'm thinking of a Ray to go with my 9.0. Not helping my bank account here :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415138033' post='2597204']
Ha, don't blame me, well not for the amp anyway, the stingray I might be guilty of playing a small part in. :D
[/quote]
It was you telling me what a beast your ShuttleMax is that started to convince me! No complaints here though, I've ended up with a lovely 'Ray and a Shuttle 9.2, all is well in the world!

I dont know why they pair so well, I have just bought a USA Jazz bass and I am not getting where I want just yet so maybe a sans amp or something is required with the more oldskool passive basses? This is why there is no right or wrong answer, WoT complained about a lack of lows with his Genz which is where my Jazz is but man the Stingray has a right good bottom end on it IMO. Genz and Ray is a new classic pairing like P and Ampeg IMO, there are loads of here with that pairing :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1415209764' post='2597954']
I dont know why they pair so well, I have just bought a USA Jazz bass and I am not getting where I want just yet so maybe a sans amp or something is required with the more oldskool passive basses? This is why there is no right or wrong answer, WoT complained about a lack of lows with his Genz which is where my Jazz is but man the Stingray has a right good bottom end on it IMO. Genz and Ray is a new classic pairing like P and Ampeg IMO, there are loads of here with that pairing :)
[/quote]
Took it to rehearsal last night with just the Bongo, really liking it so far. One thing to note though, my Bongo is a HS and I found it most pleasing at about 70-30 bias towards the humbucker. The more I dialled in the single coil the less it seemed to sit well in the mix. Definitely no lack of bottom end, although the 18v pre in the bass makes dialling in pretty much anything a doddle!

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1415120259' post='2596915']
So, having surrendered to GAS again, I'm now the owner of a Shuttle 9.2. Been using TC heads for a while through a Barefaced Big Twin 2, first an RH450 and now the 750. I'll say at this point that I do like my 750, I just fancied trying something else and seeing as every review I've read on the 9.2 seems to have not a bad word to say about it, I thought why not. First thing that struck me is how much smaller than the RH it is, I've never seen one in the flesh so that was quite a surprise. Plugged it in at home, everything flat and immediately get a pleasing tone ( tried it with my 'Ray, Bongo and Warwick). Quick glance out the window, neighbour not home, right let's give it the acid test! Plug the Bongo in, crank the volume up a bit, dial in some bottom end and,GOOD LORD!! It sounds immense, clean, punchy and powerful, exactly what i wanted to hear from the Bongo. Got a busy week with rehearsals, gigs and a jam night so plenty of chance to see how it sits in the mix, but from what I've heard so far I think I'm gonna be very happy with this little fella!
[/quote]

Ha, similar route here... RH450 to Shuttle 9,2, (via Markbass). I then went and added a Streamliner 900, and I like that even better! But both are fantastic

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1415140079' post='2597234']
It says these are discontinued on the GAK site ?
[/quote]

Fender bought Genz-Benz and then closed them down.

If Fender had simply re-badged the Shuttle and Streamliner amps then it would have been fine. Instead they discontinued some of the best modern amps in the world and only made a half-arsed attempt of using the tech in the Fender's own amps.