Why become a member? ×

KAM Powerbar - DMX controller advice please.

NoRhino

I'm back with this same topic... I hope you can help again.

I now have my 2 KAM Powerbars which work fine with a single KAM footswitch. So at least I have that for a default every gig. Problem is all it does is step through a single colour wash which gets a bit tedious.

I now have my Transcension Master 64 LED controller and can programme ONE light on One of the bars - I thought I was getting somewhere but can't do anything else.

So - Bass Chatters - Please help me.

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, Lassie said:

...I don't know what to do, I'm quite new with MagicQ...

No experience with this combination, but a Party Bar is not the most complex fixture to set up. I presume you have the DMX doc for it (if not, download it...), and the doc for the software..? You can test out a fixture using the Technicien Test Fixture mode (Page 19...). That should enable you to sort out what DMX affectation you need. Do you just need to set 'auto' lights, or control all colours and dimmers..?

I Thanks for this quick and helpful answer!

I have dmx doc for the fixture but not for MagicQ. I have to download it too and check the text fixture mode.

In dmx use I‘d like to use all colors, dimmers and so on because the sim auto lights can be controlled via foot pedal. 

6D54B48F-D4DD-4302-ACA9-106FC808DA71.png

DD323F07-DABA-47CA-BB71-E87DA2536F3A.jpeg

0470844A-4D51-41BC-A8D7-2B6FECFB1248.jpeg

1DBB04AA-B9EA-4756-A6C1-26219F1B7CB7.jpeg

Edited by Lassie

9 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

A bit too ambiguous for me, I'm afraid. Will you be wanting to use the wireless footswitch to control the bar, or Magic-Q through DMX..? The set-up is different, depending on the answer.

I’ll try to express me clearer. I’d like to use MagicQ through DMX and there different possibilities what MagicQ includes. So this is what I’d like to learn.

(Sometimes I may use the footswitch only but that I can do already)

By the way I tried to find the text fixture mode but I somehow couldn’t find it yet. (I didn’t print but just read the manual on phone)

Here's the manual, en pdf , to download...

Magic_Q.pdf

Chapter 3.2 deals with the Test procedure (page 19 of the document, page 54 of the pdf file...). In short, you affect the Magic sliders to a DMX channel each (it matters not what fixture in your case; I'd recommend twenty PAR cans...). That will make each slider correspond to the equivalent channels of the bar (I'm assuming it's connected and switched on, right..?). Channel 1 (Slider 1...) affects the way the bar is to work, and should be at zero for manual operation. Channel 2 is the overall brightness; I'd set that to about half at first. Channel 3 is for strobe speed; leave it at zero for now. Channel 4, 7, 10 and 13 set the Red brilliance for each set of Red LEDs; Channels 5 etc... and 6 etc... do the same for the Green and Blue LEDs. Get those working first and you'll be on to a Good Start. Don't panic, and go in little steps. If there's a display on the bar, it should, I think, show 'Colo' if it's in 'Manual' mode. Any help..?

I found MagicQ brilliant (haha!) but complete overkill for weekend warrior gigs so opted for using Luminair on an iPad instead controlled by a McMillen SoftStep.  Easy to program scenes, control multi-channel fixtures etc and assign scenes/sequences to the foot switch pretty much out of the box. 

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Thanks 1

Had a full DMX rig with pars, projectors, lazer and smoke machine all run from a Showtec desk with 48 channels.

I had all these great ideas for lighting shows but eventually ended up with pars running on sound to light settings controlled from the desk and the desk mainly used to bring in various projectors and lazer etc.

It becomes overly complicated unless you're doing a Floyd show its a bit overkill. You'll also need someone to run the desk.

Lot of time required learning the DMX programming and setting up "scenes" if that's the way you want to go.

If its simple rock music i'd stick with just the sound to light option and let the lights do their own thing.

Our drummer supplies all our lighting and its the KAM units he has and they are on sound to light setting. Works for 70's Glam Rock as there weren't a great deal of effects used for those bands back in early 70's. He does have other mirrored beam effects that are run sound to light as well.

I sold my full rig last summer. Desk, 13 pars, 4 projectors, lazer, scanner, goalpost stand and 2off normal stands with C clamps for all lights and effects. I kept the smoke machines tho.

Dave 

Edited by dmccombe7

I still have the Sunlite interface from my Lighter daze; our current band (The Daub'z...) doesn't 'play out' much these daze, but I've a set of four LED PARs which I run from a laptop. It enables me to choose between sound to light or more ambient Fx, such as synchro strobes, very easily. It's not a faff if you've been doing it for a couple of decades (and if you like that sort of thing...), but sound to light works well, too. S'good to have a 'blackout' option to hand, though.

I tend to have a few patches - scrolling colours, a big end to flash then a black which fades back up to pastels, perhaps certain patches for specific intros etc.  I'll swap between patches for verses and choruses but keep it pretty simple. I have a simple rig - 2 x par 64 LEDs running as sides and 8 pin spots running as effect lighting behind the band, occasionally I 'll move these to the sides if space is a premium and there's no backdrop stand

7AA107F7-CA15-4F0B-83EB-E7EE98FFC43C.JPG

F9AE40BB-6F54-4B78-96F6-3A9C07933291.JPG

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

I used the projectors on the rear goalpost to give that pin spot look. Its a great effect having pins coming from a rear goalpost.

Dave

It's such a simple but effective trick - full whites, chases, alternating colours, even run them as 2 x banks of 4 - say green and blue then fade between them - really effective with blues/reds as 'police lights'

• Like 1