Why become a member? ×

Troyen (reformed NWOBHM sort of-ish)

karlfer

[size=5][b]EDIT. NOT AVAILABLE AT THE MOMENT[/b][/size].
Nothing to see now thank you :)

Not sure if this is the right place, not sure if the link works.
The video is, erm, one still photograph, but I was a bit pleased when they asked me to join.
Even more pleased that I have helped write bits, arrange bits, of two new songs that will debut (live) at Brofest next year.
If it works, a McGuire/Troyen number (may lead to a Facesbook link).
[url="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=847852231900382"]Finish What You Started[/url]

EDIT, oooh they put t'other one up as well, a Mannion/Troyen new number, thankfully shorter :D
[url="https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=847856848566587"]Backlash[/url]

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1412882730' post='2573015']
Well, the bass sounds good. As for the vocals and the guitarist(s), not so keen I'm afraid. I think the song title is repeated too much tbh,
Glad you're enjoying it tho'.
[/quote]

Well thanks for listening, surprised anybody did :o

Would you believe that me and drummist had finished both songs we did, one take, after writing/arranging the songs two days before?
AND THE BLOODY GUITARISTS took over 1.5 days to do their widdling :rolleyes: .
I hate studio work, it's always about live for me.
Next year this lot will be performing in front of crowds of up to 15,000. I'm 56, I'll never get that chance, again, so warts and all it has to be taken :)

Great stuff Karl - some good, honest solid and tasty bass work in there too.
Nice clever arrangement for a NWOBHM, much better than than the usual verse, chorus, verse, chorus,verse, chorus, verse, chorus,......
Listened to it a couple of times now - I like it, really like it, reminds me of the music that got me seriously into 'guitar' music - constructive criticism is that the vocals are mixed too high.
Give me a shout when you out and about with it - If I can get there I will.

Very kind Martyn, I'll have a pint of what you are drinking :D

We currently have 5 smallish festivals lined up next year, Northumbria, Chelmsford, Brecon, an August bank hol metal festival somewhere down south and a Belgian one next Oct.
There is also talk of gigs with Tygers of Pang Tang and Desolation Angel or Sacrilege, can't remember which.
As well as the other band's weekly forays into various Dog and Ducks/Slaughtered Lambs :lol:

I'm too chuffing old for all this.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1412884598' post='2573050']
Glad you're still doing it . More power to ya! Sounds like you'll get better the more you're together. The bass stands out, which is a good thing ;)
Playing loose is always better than actual recording IMHO . Trying too hard not to make mistakes etc.
Keep it up
[/quote]

Thank you, we should get better, we were actually still writing both numbers as we were recording them but I would guess we aren't the first to do that :lol:

Nice work sir. Personally I think the guitars are a bit weak (sound, not playing), but it's good material with a prominent bass.

'Slander' are out on the NWOBHM circuit next year, so It's more than likely that we'll bump into each other at some point.

See you on the road! :)

Edit: the second track seems to have grown a bigger set of cahunas, and again, great bass playing Karl. More power to your elbow sir!

Edited by paul_5

Very kind Paul, my round :D
To be honest it was the guitarist/vocalist that did the mixing.
In the studio, they isolated the bass tracks and I was horrified at some of the sloppiness and mistakes, but it was one take on each song, both of which we were re-arranging/adding to half an hour before studio time.
Excuses, but hey, I'm actually only an old weekend warrior with creaking joints, dying brain cells and too much beer gut.

Can't deny though it's a great feeling, actually having a couple of songs I've helped write, on a recorded media :D .
Monthly rehearsal this Sunday, look forward to their response to a song wot I have writ :o

Haha - so bass player gets to do a one take wonder and [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828] "BLOODY GUITARISTS took over 1.5 days to do their waddling"[/color][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Seems about right with my experience as well does that.[/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1.5 days for all that (sounds to me not much more than) pentatonic [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]widely/ widely.....???[/color][/font]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Guitards eh???[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Plus........ I though NWOBHM was minimalist [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]guitard solos???[/color][/font]

Edited by bagsieblue

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1412889963' post='2573150']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Plus........ I though NWOBHM was minimalist [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]guitard solos???[/color][/font]
[/quote]

sort of - everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) is at [i]least[/i] double-tracked :(

apart from the bass [s]and drums[/s] - they're generally perfect the first time round….

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1412890539' post='2573156']
sort of - everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) is at [i]least[/i] double-tracked :(

apart from the bass [s]and drums[/s] - they're generally perfect the first time round….
[/quote]

:lol: :lol:
I wish :blush:

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1412882730' post='2573015']
Well, the bass sounds good. As for the vocals and the guitarist(s), not so keen I'm afraid. I think the song title is repeated too much tbh,
Glad you're enjoying it tho'.
[/quote]

Yeah I'm really sorry but I'm with Ray. But that doesn't mean sh*t really, other peeps will love it!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1413131235' post='2575142']
Yeah I'm really sorry but I'm with Ray. But that doesn't mean sh*t really, other peeps will love it!
[/quote]

What you get up to in your own time is your business :lol:

Seriously though Nige, thanks for taking the trouble to listen and comment, appreciated!

Apparently the two tracks have now been removed as the Kickstarter thing has, er, started.
That campaign is to help fund the recording/mixing of 10 track CD we hope to release before Brofest in Feb.