Why become a member? ×

Level 42, leicester, Monday night...

bassbiscuits

Had the privilege of catching Level 42 at Leicester's De Montfort Hall on Monday night. Bit of a last minute decision to go, and despite not being a huge fan I thought it would be worth it if only to witness the legendary Mark King in action.

The gig was absolutely AWESOME! Exceeded all my expectations, and then some.

Live, with loud thudding bass and the most kick ass live drummer I've seen since Stewart Copeland on the Police tour a couple of years back, it was less 80s pop and more heavy jazz/funk and by far the tightest live band I've ever seen.

Genuinely brilliant band, and a level of musicianship that makes me feel like I've just been tinkering with the bass for the last 20-odd years....

Not bad for a wet Monday night in October eh.

... best wishes to those who are going to see 'Level' on their latest tour.

I won't be going this time around - and not wishing to be a bore - BUT.. If Mark King actually held a hand up to all the #levelheads and said, "real sorry guys for the right royal scr$w up with the 'Sirens' CD quality/mastering.." - "I'll make some more music and include a re-master of the #sirens EP", then I WOULD buy it.. and start going to gigs again...

Edited by SimonEdward

Is the drummer still Pete Ray Biggin?

I first worked with him as a FOH sound guy at a venue about 15 years ago when he was about 19 year old touring around the holiday camp circuit with Jimmy James and the Vagabonds. He would just borrow the house drummer's standard 4 piece kit back then but had such a fantastic feel and groove about him. It made me never want to play drums again!

Since then, I've kept an eye for him and what he's doing - I understand he is now one of the top UK session drummers. He's worked with Incognito, and Mark Ronson but to name a few.

If it wasn't him, then the above is probably irrelevant, but a fantastic drummer all the same. I remember him being a good laugh too!

EDIT: I've just had a look at their website, looks like it still is Pete playing with them. I had a feeling it would be, after the OP's description!

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1412800148' post='2572278']

The gig was absolutely AWESOME! Exceeded all my expectations, and then some.

Live, with loud thudding bass and the most kick ass live drummer I've seen since Stewart Copeland on the Police tour a couple of years back, it was less 80s pop and more heavy jazz/funk and by far the tightest live band I've ever seen.

[/quote]

I was there too and I couldn't agree more!

The whole thing was just quality from start to finish.

Anyone who is going, I'm sure will have a great time.

Just Brilliant!

:)

Huge Hands - yep it was Pete Ray Biggin on the drums - he was blinding! I gotta confess i spent more time looking at him than watching Mark King - my mate who isn't even a musician of any sort was just blown away by that drummer and how he commanded the whole band in and out of songs.

Just a great great drummer. A couple of other pro session drummers i know were there too and ended up chatting backstage with him after the show - by all accounts a top bloke too!

Flat Eric - good work sir! Wasn't it a great night? Need more nights out like that. :)