Why become a member? ×

What does your phone No sound like?

TheGreek

Just out of interest I was playing my phone No earlier - obviously need to play a root note first but then played each following note as if it were in a major scale - e.g 1 would be the root again, 2 would be the second note, 3 a third and so on. Going to experiment with this a bit more...landline/mobile, even my work no..also want to hear what it sounds like in the minor scale..

Have a go and give some feedback....

They actually have tones associated with them anyway. I remember years ago seeing something on TV where a blind fella, with a great sense of pitch, could mimic the tones that would connect you to a distant telephone exchange FOC. Sorry, bit of an unintentional hijack there!

There are two tones mixed representing each number, I imagine it would be very difficult to vocalise.

I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be possible to dial out just by tapping on the mouthpiece of a phone receiver. Before touch-tone phones, rotary phones simply emitted a series of audible clicks as the dial reset. You could mimic this by tapping with your finger and reliably connect to whatever number you wanted without needing access to the dial or key pad. I imagine it would still work, otherwise rotary phones would no longer work.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1412372622' post='2568446']
There are two tones mixed representing each number, I imagine it would be very difficult to vocalise.

I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be possible to dial out just by tapping on the mouthpiece of a phone receiver. Before touch-tone phones, rotary phones simply emitted a series of audible clicks as the dial reset. You could mimic this by tapping with your finger and reliably connect to whatever number you wanted without needing access to the dial or key pad. I imagine it would still work, otherwise rotary phones would no longer work.
[/quote]

Maybe it was that then. It was a long time ago!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1412372622' post='2568446']

[/quote]

It wasnt the click, it was pulse dialling. The rotary dial actually shorted the incoming line in pulses. You could dial out by tapping the rest that the handset rested on. But if you did it in a phone box you still had to pay, I tried it.

Pulse dialling still works, or did about a year ago when I tried some old 1950s phones I was selling.