Why become a member? ×

Amazing guitarist composer, Dave Marks on bass?

xilddx

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1412365544' post='2568368']
Yep!

I looked at some of the other finalists. He is head and shoulders above the others IMHO. This may be a generational thing though.
[/quote]

He sounds like Eric Johnson. Nice melodies, I really like what he does. Bit bland though, and his other numbers don't match it either.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1412358900' post='2568273']
15 year old jazz guitarist Andreas Varady performs a piece which he wrote for Quincy Jones' 80th birthday party.
[media]http://youtu.be/51EQ09eLtos[/media]

12 years old - Andreas Varady at Nancy Blake's, Limerick
[media]http://youtu.be/MiRxLgyN_Lo[/media]
[/quote]

Immensely talented! Wow!

Not knocking his ability but I heard Tony Iommi for the intro then the licks were very much Megadeath note choices IMO, for me it was like watching the Jeff Beck and Tal clips but a bit more metal inspired, sorry :(

Check out 1.30 or about 7.30 for how it is meant to be done :)
[url="http://youtu.be/b7RoTZtiS1Q"]http://youtu.be/b7RoTZtiS1Q[/url]

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1412408201' post='2568615']
Not knocking his ability but I heard Tony Iommi for the intro then the licks were very much Megadeath note choices IMO, for me it was like watching the Jeff Beck and Tal clips but a bit more metal inspired, sorry :(

Check out 1.30 or about 7.30 for how it is meant to be done :)

[/quote]

So you don't think his compositional skills and harmony are individual and interesting then?

OK I just listened to your recommended Marty Friedman clips, they are solos over minor second riffs, so how are they in any way comparable to what the kid in the op is doing, which is far more compositionally and harmonically complex?

Edited by xilddx

I remember seeing this the first time around (and liked it).
I think his harmony approach to his composing is great, and not tied to any 'western ear' progressions.

Although I think it sounds like it was written on (or for) Halloween night. :D

Great stuff.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1412416008' post='2568690']
So you don't think his compositional skills and harmony are individual and interesting then?

OK I just listened to your recommended Marty Friedman clips, they are solos over minor second riffs, so how are they in any way comparable to what the kid in the op is doing, which is far more compositionally and harmonically complex?
[/quote]
Not really, If you listen to loads of Megadeth or even some Metallica you will hear loads of that sort of composition in my opinion, nothing wrong with it but it doesn't get me going like it does you, it is all good, horses and courses etc :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1412419029' post='2568743']
Not really, If you listen to loads of Megadeth or even some Metallica you will hear loads of that sort of composition in my opinion, nothing wrong with it but it doesn't get me going like it does you, it is all good, horses and courses etc :)
[/quote]

I don't really dig Megadeth or Metallica, but I've heard enough of both to know that this kid's The cadences are and harmony are very different much less predictable, even though some of the basics are similar. Sorry Pete, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this mate :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1412419811' post='2568758']
That is what is good about music, something can get to one person and not another, dare I say I dont dig Jaco for example, I have tried but nothing is doing :)
[/quote]
indeed! Can't stand Jaco's music either. A mate lent me Punk Jazz, I listened to most of it and it nearly killed me :D

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1412350149' post='2568144']
:D What did you hear?
[/quote]

Finding it hard to describe. I didn't really feel gripped by it, but saying that a lot of drawn out prog type stuff does take me quite a few listens to get into and then I'm hooked. Will give it a few more plays, but I certainly wasn't wowed.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1412419811' post='2568758']
That is what is good about music, something can get to one person and not another, dare I say I dont dig Jaco for example, I have tried but nothing is doing :)
[/quote]

Yeah, good point. Super talented but I can't listen to this sort of stuff for too long now. 10 years ago, I loved it.
Dale Marks is pretty decent though, and that Strat has some crazy scalloping!