Why become a member? ×

Thinking of down-sizing....

Josh

Another one :).....

For the last so many weeks, I've been contemplating down-sizing to a smaller rig, for certain reasons, a main one being the weight, when I think about having to move out to go to Uni, I get pains at the idea of lugging even one 4x10 XLT up and down stairs, which are very heavy, and to save space as well, and to respect the other occupants who I'd be sharing the place with. Another reason is, I'm finding the sound of my rig to be not as crystal, growly and Hi-Fi as I had hoped for, whilst beign able to get a comfortable playing tone for alot of the time, it still leaves me wanting that cyrstalness(Ello??) to my tone, and now I've got 2 basses that are very Hi-Fi, and even with new strings their not as clear as I would prefer. I've had a good play around with the horns and it just makes the tone harsh and un-playable, to me they just serverly lack the tone I'm trying to get out of it.

I'm not currently gigging at the moment, so I ahven't been able to put it to the test at a gig, but still even at home, I'm not too happy with it. The appeal of having a large expensive amp has really started to wear off, as I'm seeing and hearing so many players with much smaller and lighter rigs, with a perfect cyrstal and growly tone, and also in some cases, their rigs are a good bit cheaper than my whole rig put together. And one main brand that has really been turning my head is EBS, luckily I have had the chance to play through a TD650 head and 2x12 in my own room, and I was really liking the more Hi-Fi feeling to my tone, sure it had a tad to much treble for my liking but that was easily sorted, but for the size I was and still am really impressed.

So I'm considering to buy 2 2x10's and a HD350, but I'm a bit undecided on wether to go Proline or Neo?

Any experiences or other recommendations would gladdly be appreciated!

Thanks Guys,

Josh.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='The Funk' post='251639' date='Jul 30 2008, 08:48 PM']You're having trouble getting a hi-fi sound out of an Eden rig? :)

I've heard some people say they like the sound of the Eden heads or the cabs - but not together.

You could try swapping your Eden 4x10s for something else - perhaps the EBS 2x10s or 2x12s?[/quote]

It's just not there man, if it is I haven't found it.

That's a bit strange, but I guess it explains the amount of players I've seen with different cabs yet have a Eden wt800 or Navigator head.

That is a possibility, for the selling price of both the 4x10's I could get the full set up I'm after.

[quote name='Josh' post='251625' date='Jul 30 2008, 08:39 PM']Another reason is, I'm finding the sound of my rig to be not as crystal, growly and Hi-Fi as I had hoped for[/quote]

Aren't HiFi and Growly mutually exclusive terms?

I'm surprised taht you can't get a clear sound out of your Eden also, mine is almost to clean, but I don't use Eden cabs, so that'd be the first thing I suggest changing.

Edited by gilmour

[quote name='Josh' post='251625' date='Jul 30 2008, 08:39 PM']....I'm considering to buy 2 2x10's and a HD350, but I'm a bit undecided on wether to go Proline or Neo....[/quote]
Proline? You're downsizing, why stop at anything other than Neo. 2 2x10's is a good idea but at about 40lbs each you might also want to look at a neo 4x10 (approx 60lbs) with wheels. My Epifani 4x10 is very easy to move around and my back is not in good shape! I would also look further than EBS!

I've not regretted downsizing from a 2100watt 6x10 to a pair of 300watt DB 112s. Oddly enough the 6x10 weighed less than the pair of 12s combined and was probably a lot easier to go distances as it had casters (only weighed 30kg anyway :huh: ). I think the biggest difference for me is the difference in tonality between the Neo 10s and the non-neo 12s. I'm sure someone very learned explained to me that there shouldn't be a tonal difference between neo and non-neo drivers and that it was the cab design that gave the majority of tone but I can't help thinking that I prefer the tone of non-neo drivers in general. Sorry I'm wondering off topic a bit :)

Back on task!

Unless you are playing huge stages where your backline is also your FOH sound I wouldn't worry too much about downsizing, you'd be amazed at how the right speaker/cab can compensate for the loss of all those drivers... well almost :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='252116' date='Jul 31 2008, 03:49 PM']I'm sure someone very learned explained to me that there shouldn't be a tonal difference between neo and non-neo drivers and that it was the cab design that gave the majority of tone but I can't help thinking that I prefer the tone of non-neo drivers in general.[/quote]

For direct radiator (i.e. non-horn) cabs the cab design only really affects the tone in the lows. Above ~200Hz it's all down to what the speakers sound like. The difference in tone between your neo and non-neo drivers was just the difference in tone resulting from them being different speakers - the fact that one had a neo magnet and the other a non-neo magnet is immaterial. Replace the non-neo magnet with a neo one of equal strength and the speaker would sound the same. And vice versa.

It's a bit like saying that you used to have a white Fiat Panda and now have a black BMW M5 and thus you prefer black cars because they're bigger, comfier and faster than white cars.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='252128' date='Jul 31 2008, 03:58 PM']For direct radiator (i.e. non-horn) cabs the cab design only really affects the tone in the lows. Above ~200Hz it's all down to what the speakers sound like. The difference in tone between your neo and non-neo drivers was just the difference in tone resulting from them being different speakers - the fact that one had a neo magnet and the other a non-neo magnet is immaterial. Replace the non-neo magnet with a neo one of equal strength and the speaker would sound the same. And vice versa.

It's a bit like saying that you used to have a white Fiat Panda and now have a black BMW M5 and thus you prefer black cars because they're bigger, comfier and faster than white cars.

Alex[/quote]

Cheers Alex. So it is safe to say that a neo driver can and will sound different to a non-neo just like any two drivers from different manufacturers can and will sound different. Your analogy of the cars being useful here in that I may well prefer driving the white Fiat panda to the black Beemer :) So replacing a neo driver with a non-neo driver would be like replacing any 2 drivers regardless of material... would they then sound very different as I assume no 2 speaker manufacturers drivers sound the same; or is it just that the handling characteristics are different?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='252169' date='Jul 31 2008, 05:03 PM']So it is safe to say that a neo driver can and will sound different to a non-neo just like any two drivers from different manufacturers can and will sound different. Your analogy of the cars being useful here in that I may well prefer driving the white Fiat panda to the black Beemer :) So replacing a neo driver with a non-neo driver would be like replacing any 2 drivers regardless of material... would they then sound very different as I assume no 2 speaker manufacturers drivers sound the same; or is it just that the handling characteristics are different?[/quote]

If the neo driver has been designed to sound exactly like the non-neo driver it's replacing then I doubt you could hear a difference - I know this is true for some of the new Eminence pro-audio neos. You may well prefer the white Panda to the black M5 but you'd then be disappointed if given a white M5 because you told your wealthy and generous friend you liked white cars.

Your preference for the Aguilar non-neo 1x12"s over the Tech neo 6x10" can tell you only one thing - that you prefer the sound of the DB112 to the Tech neo 610. It can't tell you that you prefer ceramic magnets, nor can it tell you that you prefer 12" speakers. Just those specific speakers in those specific enclosures/configurations. It's a shame really because there's nothing like a good over-generalisation for keeping musicians happy! :huh:

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='252176' date='Jul 31 2008, 05:14 PM']If the neo driver has been designed to sound exactly like the non-neo driver it's replacing then I doubt you could hear a difference - I know this is true for some of the new Eminence pro-audio neos. You may well prefer the white Panda to the black M5 but you'd then be disappointed if given a white M5 because you told your wealthy and generous friend you liked white cars.

Your preference for the Aguilar non-neo 1x12"s over the Tech neo 6x10" can tell you only one thing - that you prefer the sound of the DB112 to the Tech neo 610. It can't tell you that you prefer ceramic magnets, nor can it tell you that you prefer 12" speakers. Just those specific speakers in those specific enclosures/configurations. It's a shame really because there's nothing like a good over-generalisation for keeping musicians happy! :huh:

Alex[/quote]

So should replacing a ceramic magnet driver with a neo driver (of similar spec... assuming that is possible within small tolerances) essentially mean that the tone of a given cab should remain consistent?

I'm not arguing, just genuinely interested in understanding 'stuff' like this better :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='252190' date='Jul 31 2008, 05:32 PM']So should replacing a ceramic magnet driver with a neo driver (of similar spec... assuming that is possible within small tolerances) essentially mean that the tone of a given cab should remain consistent?[/quote]

Yes.

Alex