Why become a member? ×

Long shot: is there a punk band or punk album called "Marilyn Monroe"?

BassTractor

Story: in the mid eighties (not earlier than '83, but more probably around '85), I saw this album with the words "Marilyn Monroe" on the cover in the punk/hardcore department of the local record shop. I don't know whether this just were two words on a cover, or the album title or the band name.
Got to hear some of it, and liked the stuff, but didn't buy it that day. Haven't seen it since.

Anyone know of such an album?

Just to be sure:
I'm (of course) not referring to Brian Hugh Warner, that intelligent and educated purveyor of very boring music. :)

Thank you, o Laird of Bollocks, Dunans and Glencoe!
Sadly, that's not the one, or should I say "happily, that's not the one", as I thoroughly dislike both that song and anything to do with the Misfits?

Great call though.

As I was into Flux of Pink Indians and the like back then, I'd guess we're more likely talking anarcho-punk or similar, though this is not certain.
Also, there's a good chance the cover used overtly "girly" colours like pink and light blue, so I'd guess the band behind it liked some irony.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1411326868' post='2558488']
Thank you, o Laird of Bollocks, Dunans and Glencoe!
[/quote]

You're incredibly welcome, Sir.

Good luck in your hunt. It's probably some suffocatingly rare vinyl-only release that sold 22 copies. I think you need [i]an expert [/i]so I'm off to bother someone else :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1411336771' post='2558619']
It's probably some suffocatingly rare vinyl-only release that sold 22 copies.
[/quote]

Thank you! That gives hope:
50 copies pressed, 22 sold, another 20 taken by band members of which 4 went to their mothers and 1 to the drummer's dad's new girlfriend - meaning there are still 13 mint, unplayed copies floating about somewhere, of which 10 probably are available given that the guitarist's mother denounced him a few years later.
Success!

[b][url=""][/url]MARILYN MONROE, recorded and released 1990[/b]

[center][/center] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This disc marked a mini water mark as a bar band in the Philly area. Tapping into funk, blues and a little bit of country, the songs represented the culmination of about 18 months of dozens of gigs from South Street in Philly to biker bars outside Delaware. The musician lineup changed slightly from "Kerouac Shack" to include Blair Saunders on bass, and Jorge Castenda on guitar. Lee Sled and Toby Houser had to leave to go to college. Most of the songs on here are great, with fantastic vocals from Jennifer Lynn.[/font]

Thanks, guys!
I didn't want to lock both my memory and your thinking too much, but as I recall it, the cover had the look of an album that just could have been made by Marilyn Monroe herself. I showed it to the shopkeeper, asking whether it was in the wrong section, uponwhich he played it for me so as to "prove" it wasn't.

As I'm aware the human memory is evil, I can't be too certain about every detail - or anything really.
Dandelion's solution seems charmingly close, but I'm still convinced it was close to 1985, and definitely punk (possibly anarcho).

For the time being I'm impressed we even got this far. The Glenn Danzig record was known to me, but I'd never even heard about the Java Jel Band one.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1411418864' post='2559421']
Wasn't a bit of early 80's post-punk new romantic then? "Marilyn Dreams" by B-Movie (remember them? Great song 'Remembrance Day', at least I thought so at the time)

[attachment=172328:$_57.JPG]
[/quote]
Good call... I hope you are right

Thanks, Clarky!
Another great call, that, and sadly another one I think it isn't.

I must admit I had no idea Marilyn Monroe was so omnipresent in punk, post punk, new romantic and whatnot. Or had forgotten, rather.
The search continues.

From experience, I know these things can take a lot of time. I've investigated some stuff on and off for decades before recently finding the info I had been after all that time (this in a larger project designed to activate my memory and fill out the blanks - after a stroke in '94 and resulting memory loss).

Thanks for the help so far!

bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1411326868' post='2558488']
Also, there's a good chance the cover used overtly "girly" colours like pink and light blue, so I'd guess the band behind it liked some irony.
[/quote]

That to me sounds like the famous Andy Warhol portrait of Marilyn. Wouldn't be surprised if someone had coopted that for an LP.

Thanks, Unca P!
Sadly, the cover I mean certainly didn't have the Andy Warhol thing in any form or colour setting, It was a cover like a female singer in the fifties or sixties, with doubt, could have. I vividly remember contemplating the possibility that it indeed was a Marilyn Monroe album, and concluding that it might be.
Thanks though!

...but I feel inspired to relate a little story from when I entered a shop with that exact portrait printed on my t-shirt some years later.
Upon seeing me with it, the shop owner gladly exclaimed: "Andy Warhol!"
Her assistant then bursted out: "You're nuts! That's Jayne Mansfield!" :lol: