Why become a member? ×

Bass Octave Pedals

Shaun

I bought a Boss OC-2 a couple of months ago and love it. One of my favourite pedals! It's too glitchy below the A but I don't need to go lower than that anyway. I love it's synthy quality and it thickens up your tone which is especially useful if your in a band with one other guitarist.

i like my zoom b2.1u's octaver

heres a quick sound clip i did: stingray > zoom octave > dha > pc (laptop soundcard quality im afraid)

edit: correct link
[url="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=700547&songID=6758658"]http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songI...;songID=6758658[/url]

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='cheddatom' post='249731' date='Jul 28 2008, 04:16 PM']It depends what you want. Some people love the OC-2 because of the cool was it "glitches" in the lower registers.[/quote]

I think most people like the OC-2 for its sound. With the -1 Oct soloed it's sweet. And of course they're dirt cheap, so that helps.

Sticking with cheap, the Digitech Bass Synth Wah does a decent octave down. Getting pricier, the EBS Octabass is supposed to be pretty good but I've never tried one. The EHX Micro POG has very clever tracking but the tone isn't that great IMO. And the Foxrox Octron sounds good but it's a bit pricey.

If you want to go the glitch-free, awesome/perfect tracking digital route, there's the Digitech BSW with just 1 octave down for about £55. It has a few more effects too, all of which are crap IMO, but it's worth the money for the sub-octave setting alone. If you want the same kind of thing but with octave-up thrown in there too, there's the EHX Micro POG for about £120.

Then of course there's the whole analogue way, which I have absolutely no experience with nor desire for (for the time being anyway).

I have both the EBS Octabass and the Digitech Bass Synth Wah. There isn't much to chose between them - the EBS is easier to blend normal and octaved signal and sounds slightly better IMHO and the Digitech tracks slightly better below G. I have them both on my board because I also use the envelope filter and it's easier to do that than keep fiddling with the Digitech settings between songs.

I find the OC-2 very effective for playing individual notes at -1 octave, particularly combined with a nice overdrive tone. Problem is, I play a lot of bass chords too, and if you're unfortunate enough to have the OC-2 turned on while strumming a chord, you're treated to a sound vaguely resembling two people farting into empty Pringles cans.

Don't ask how I arrived at that analogy. :)

Otherwise the OC-2 is great!