Why become a member? ×

Looking for 'Burpy' and 'Grrrrrr' sound

alembic1989

After many years of resisting the temptation..I've decided I want a bass that produces that classic Jaco back pickup sound....the one tone that burps and grizzlies!!
Like scores of others I was very influenced by THAT tone......I've avoided it as I didn't want to sound like a Jaco clone.
I have a limited budget of around £300 ..I've listened to various Squiers, and one or two other brands ...and to be honest haven't got a clue as to my best option....some of the j - equipped Warwick rock basses sound nice too.
I would really welcome your suggestions for my best option to get as close to a ' super-jazz' type tone as I can with my limited budget.
I am very open to suggestions.
THANKS!!

The Squier Deluxe Jazz gets a great write up in these parts. I don't have any personal experience with it but it looks the part, has an active EQ which will give you plenty of twiddling options so you can get your tone 'just so'.

Edit: the Contemporary Jazz (Overwater by Tanglewood) also looks good, slightly over budget at £320 though

http://overwaterbasses.com/basses/overwater-by-tanglewood/#lightbox[]/6/

Edited by theyellowcar

The Squier Deluxe Jazz Active is a great bass, the 3 band active EQ is very handy to have and it doesn't sacrifice the traditional single coil sound. The instrument also has a 'slap switch' that adds fair amount of low end heft. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a sound out of it that you liked. The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz also gets a lot of praise too (as do the much less expensive J&D and Harley Benton clones). I've got the Deluxe in the 4 string version and I'm very happy with it - I customised mine a little in adding a scratchplate.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether you're talking about playing fretless or not - Jaco used roundwounds with an epoxied fingerboard and add his playing style to it for an understanding of the sounds he created. If you do want to try fretless then the Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz has an ebonol (phenolic) board that'll hold up well to wear from rounds. The Deluxe Jazz also has an ebonol board, this is said to sound somewhat like ebony in how note attack is preserved.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1409075803' post='2536097']
The Squier Deluxe Jazz Active is a great bass, the 3 band active EQ is very handy to have and it doesn't sacrifice the traditional single coil sound. The instrument also has a 'slap switch' that adds fair amount of low end heft. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a sound out of it that you liked. The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz also gets a lot of praise too (as do the much less expensive J&D and Harley Benton clones). I've got the Deluxe in the 4 string version and I'm very happy with it - I customised mine a little in adding a scratchplate.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether you're talking about playing fretless or not - Jaco used roundwounds with an epoxied fingerboard and add his playing style to it for an understanding of the sounds he created. If you do want to try fretless then the Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz has an ebonol (phenolic) board that'll hold up well to wear from rounds. The Deluxe Jazz also has an ebonol board, this is said to sound somewhat like ebony in how note attack is preserved.
[/quote]

I'll be playing fretted...at least at first. ..using round wounds. Might De fret later. Need to find out if de fretting an ebonol board is the same process as a wooden one.

As above. I'm quite picky when it comes to Jazz tones, and my brother's VM Jazz is surprisingly good. He put a £20 Artec Active EQ in it and it's a superb bit of kit!

Very playable necks and good quality hardware all round means that you'd be foolish not to even try one...

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1409088978' post='2536307']
As above. I'm quite picky when it comes to Jazz tones, and my brother's VM Jazz is surprisingly good. He put a £20 Artec Active EQ in it and it's a superb bit of kit!

Very playable necks and good quality hardware all round means that you'd be foolish not to even try one...
[/quote]

So the VM would be your choice over the deluxe active?

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1409088978' post='2536307']

[/quote]

So the VM would be your choice over the deluxe active?

I've had both VM and Deluxe and would say, out of the case, the Deluxe is better. Mine was the black, no pickguard and painted headstock and I really liked the stealth look of it. The active eq and controls really gave a great tonal palette and it was pretty lightweight and comfy to wear for long periods.

Fretless is a difficult call as each of us carry a different sound in our heads as to what we seek. I've had two VM fretless basses at periods when I thought I might use them - they were both fine but not brilliant. I fitted one with a J retro on board preamp and it sounded immense but the rest of the bass kind of let it down a bit. But now have a Westone Thunder 1A fretless as I prefer the tone, build quality and unlined board of the Westone. Plus the 1A version 3 is lighter in weight than a VM Jazz, which suits my brittle lumbar region.

Aren't you asking for two different sounds here? Jaco's sound is pure passive jazz being played really hard (other than the soft bits obv) but "super-jazzes" in my mind are Sadowsky, overwater etc... which are mostly active.

The active circuitry will give you more options for other sounds, but I'm very happy using a passive jazz & they can do quite a few different sounds without the EQ then you can always use your other gear to change the sound...

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1409132224' post='2536567']
Aren't you asking for two different sounds here? Jaco's sound is pure passive jazz being played really hard (other than the soft bits obv) but "super-jazzes" in my mind are Sadowsky, overwater etc... which are mostly active.

The active circuitry will give you more options for other sounds, but I'm very happy using a passive jazz & they can do quite a few different sounds without the EQ then you can always use your other gear to change the sound...
[/quote]

The thing is even though Jaco used a passive bass...there are loads of basses that give that 'type of sound' Ken Smith , and others...I like that 'type of tone' it needn't be from a Fender...some Jazz type basses have a hi fi version of this tone that I also find very appealing....but I doubt I'm gonna get that for £300......unless of course someone knows better...that would be cool.
:-)