Why become a member? ×

Finally have our debut gig! Any tips!

Sarah5string

I may be a lone voice here, but I feel there is a risk in starting with your own material.

An audience that does not recognise the first song you play may vote with their feet, so I would suggest starting with covers, and move onto your own material when you have got the audience on your side, and finish with a cover that they know and love.

Having said that, my only gig is a church worship band, so this is my gut feeling, not my experience talking - YMMV

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='250089' date='Jul 28 2008, 11:55 PM']I may be a lone voice here, but I feel there is a risk in starting with your own material.

An audience that does not recognise the first song you play may vote with their feet, so I would suggest starting with covers, and move onto your own material when you have got the audience on your side, and finish with a cover that they know and love.

Having said that, my only gig is a church worship band, so this is my gut feeling, not my experience talking - YMMV[/quote]

I kinda disagree, I think starting with your own number shows confidence and makes a statement that you are an originals band that does a few covers, rather than the other way around.

[quote name='silddx' post='250241' date='Jul 29 2008, 10:16 AM']I kinda disagree, I think starting with your own number shows confidence and makes a statement that you are an originals band that does a few covers, rather than the other way around.[/quote]

I agree with this sentiment. You can start with an original, but you have to make sure that the intro and ending are bulletproof, and you play it with gusto and enthusiasm. Play it as if it were your #1 hit and the audience know all the words.

S.P.

Just out of interest what covers are you playing?

As said before (but just to mention it again): put your lead through your strap, nothing looks more stupid than someone bending over to put their lead back in

Think about what you want to hear on the monitor, and focus on that during rehearsals.
If your whole band does this, you can make a small rider out of it, to give to the soundtechs. This might help you get a better onstage sound. If you know the venue, you could also put up how you possibly might want to set the stage (which amp where, which monitor where). Mind however you are with 3 other bands, they might not want to switch too much.

But most important: have a great time on stage, try to interact with the other band members!

[quote name='MuseMatt' post='250255' date='Jul 29 2008, 10:30 AM']Just out of interest what covers are you playing?[/quote]
setlist..
our song
Slither - velvet revolver
wish you were here - incubus
Mr brownstone - GNR
random bass/drum guitar swap song
Them bones - alice in chains
Almost easy - avenged sevenfold
Our song.
end

Bring a 4-socket power adaptor, with a REALLY long lead. You'll be amazed at some of the daft places some venues have their wall sockets, as well as a plain shortage of them. Your guitarist will probably thank you too, when you let him use one of the sockets for some of his 8 zillion effects.

Definately tuck your lead thru your strap

If you can, use straplocks

Make sure your guitard knows how to set up his pedals (Almost died of embarrasment whilst stood onstage for our soundcheck in a Leicester Sq venue with the soundguy evilling us cos the guitard has just spent the last 5 mins causing monstrous feedback and bangs because he has no idea how to work his gear...)

Always imagine every crowd to be a sold-out wembley, screamin your name, and that you know every song backwards!

Above all else, befriend the soundguy, he dictates if you live or die onstage...he can make the best band sound appauling, and the most mediocre band sound, well, less mediocre!

Rock out sarah, you'll love it!

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='250396' date='Jul 29 2008, 01:58 PM']setlist..
our song
Slither - velvet revolver
wish you were here - incubus
Mr brownstone - GNR
random bass/drum guitar swap song
Them bones - alice in chains
Almost easy - avenged sevenfold
Our song.
end[/quote]

I love the songs!
As an advice here (and this will probably sound very annoying): try not to merge too many different styles, but head into one direction especially as a beginning band. That will help you get a certain image of the kind of music you want to play, and possibly more gigs.

But for the next concert: Rock out! I'd move incubus a bit more to the back because it's probably a huge crowdpleaser.

One thing I don't think has been covered is that when you soundcheck, play exactly like you will play the gig: hard/soft/fingerstyle/plectrum etc.

No point in giving it some Mark King 'giggidy, giggidy,gigidy, goo' if you're playing rock.

One thing I used to do was, even though I have a rack tuner, I used to sit in the wings with a small tuner just to check before I went on in case I was miles out.

for some reason, its a bass player's wont to take 2 or 3 of everything with them. I used to take a large sports bag bursting at the seams. Thing was that I rarely had to use any of it but it definitely comes in handy - especially when one of my leads started cutting out mid gig last weekend.

chances are you will be nervous but don't worry about it, everyone is and once the nerves go you'll enjoy it even more.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='252236' date='Jul 31 2008, 06:36 PM']Only mention once if at all that it's your first gig, no one will really care, it's harsh but true.[/quote]

Don't mention it at all. You probably won't sound like a "first gig band", so don't say anything that'll make you seem like a bunch of bedroom wusses.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='249747' date='Jul 28 2008, 04:25 PM']If you're in Wolverhampton then you could always grab the audience's attention by starting with [b][i]"Hey, Coventry! Good to be here!".[/b][/i]

:brow:[/quote]

Or by shouting "Come on you Baggies"

elom (Wolverhampton Poly alumni - well would have been if he'd graduated...)

Lots of wise advice in this thread (much like when I asked the same question 18 months ago back on bassworld) to which I would add:
[list]
[*]Start with your 2nd best song, finish the encore with your best song
[*]Look like you're having fun even if you're not - it makes it easier for the audience to have a good time
[*]When you make a mistake - don't wince - smile! (they will spot the wince more than the mistake)
[*]Don't leave extended gaps between songs and don't play 'the tuning up song'
[*]Look like you're having fun even if you're not - it makes it easier for the audience to have a good time (worth repeating!)
[/list]

The first gig is daunting but it will not be a disaster and subsequent gigs will be easier.

Let us know how you get on,

elom

[quote name='Delberthot' post='252064' date='Jul 31 2008, 02:35 PM']One thing I don't think has been covered is that when you soundcheck, play exactly like you will play the gig: hard/soft/fingerstyle/plectrum etc.[/quote]
+1. Preferably do a song which covers your entire dynamic range, if you have one. And keep an eye on the soundman, if he's got your balance sorted 30 seconds in and starts gesticulating at you to wind up, he won't be all that happy at you continuing for the remaining 8 minutes of your epic rock operetta.

As elom said, don't wince at mistakes - also, don't all look over at whoever it was hat made the mistake. Just carry on and the audience will realise it was a jazz moment.