Why become a member? ×

New custom bass tone

BassBus

This is one for those of us lucky enough to buy a custom bass from new. I picked up my Overwater SDS about three months ago now and at the time there was something about the tone that didn't quite settle in with me. Here we are three months on and the tone seems to have matured and fattened up to a tone I am more than happy with. I had exactly the same experience with my Status S2 fretless. Didn't really like the tone in the first few weeks but six years on it is just sublime, perfect.

Is this something that happens with a new instrument. Afterall not long ago the Overwater was just a few bits of raw wood. I suppose glue takes time to cure as will finish. Given time those bits of wood all become one.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Assuming it hasn't been finished with a nitro finish you'd imagine that all curing and outgassing has already happened by the time you get it. However, I suppose there's one possible area where change might occur - the neck. If it's tuned to pitch and held continuously under tension where previously the wood wouldn't have had that stress on it, can the cellular structure of the timber change and would that affect how it responds to vibration? I don't know the answer; it may make some, little, or no difference with a bass neck but it is a long piece of wood and it's known that you don't leave traditional long bows strung because they lose their strength. According to the University of Cambridge:

"time-dependent deformation such as creep and viscoelasticity occur in wood. Creep of wood makes it important that longbows or violins are not left tightly strung. Creep occurs due to movement of the non-crystalline (amorphous) sections of the cellulose microfibrils."

http://www.doitpoms.ac.uk/tlplib/wood/printall.php

I'm sure there is an amount of getting used to it but that doesn't explain my experience with my ACG. That I managed to get a fine tone from within days. That was four years old when I bought it earlier this year.

I was once told of a violin maker who, having finished an instrument, placed it on one of his hifi speakers for a few days. He felt that "played" the instrument in. There must be an element of that with solid bodies as well.

Having come to bass from trombone I remember the storey from Denis Wick a maker of mouth pieces for brass instruments, he wrote a small pocket book. One storey was about a guy who could not get a certain note on his trombone who discussed this with is teacher. Who then had a go and blew the note hard and long into the instrument and from that day on the student could also play that note. He uses this storey to explain how all instruments improve with age as the vibration from playing aligns the molecular structure of the brass or wood. Vibrations and resonant frequencies of the notes seem to lock themselves within structure of the instrument. Well there are plenty of 300 year old cellos and violins as well as 60's basses that support this. <_<
So am not suprised at your comments and probably is more than just you getting used to it.

Interesting it happens to more than just wood. My double bass certainly improved with age. Even during any one session. It might start out with an OK tone but within half an hour that tone had improved again, much greater depth to it.

I also think older instruments even electric basses would have been made with seasoned woods , cheaper mass produced instruments today are not, A luthier would ensure he selects woods from reliable sources, the best he can get hence the price tag and better consistent tone if you are willing to pay the money. You could try leaving your bass on its stand in front of the stereo all day while you are out at work :D well it was a thought.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1408907985' post='2534534']
The whole wood changing thing is nice in theory.... but the second bass the OP uses as an example is a status.... not much wood there
[/quote]

Yeah I spotted that, which is why I thought it [i]might[/i] be a possible source of change for his SDS and maybe other conventionally built basses. I don't know enough about carbon fibre to say how it behaves under constant stress.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1408909015' post='2534544']
Yeah I spotted that, which is why I thought it [i]might[/i] be a possible source of change for his SDS and maybe other conventionally built basses. I don't know enough about carbon fibre to say how it behaves under constant stress.
[/quote] Nothing I would have thought, Isn't that what it's designed to do? To be uber lightweight and strong and work under constant stress... otherwise you wouldn't be able to use it for things like F1 cars, Tour de France bikes and so on. You can't have a F1 car where you drive it far enough and the road vibrations cause it to develop all sorts of resonant frequencies in it's suspension armature....

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1408910737' post='2534555']
Nothing I would have thought, Isn't that what it's designed to do? To be uber lightweight and strong and work under constant stress... otherwise you wouldn't be able to use it for things like F1 cars, Tour de France bikes and so on. You can't have a F1 car where you drive it far enough and the road vibrations cause it to develop all sorts of resonant frequencies in it's suspension armature....
[/quote]

They were saying on the GP at the w/e F1 cars now have vibration sensors and if they pass a certain level they have to retire the car/change the tyres. Something to do with the suspension components and in order to get them light/strong there is a trade off and they can just shake to bits due to tyre degradation

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1408907985' post='2534534']
The whole wood changing thing is nice in theory.... but the second bass the OP uses as an example is a status.... not much wood there
[/quote]

No, there isn't much wood in my Status except the five different pieces that were stuck together to make the body. :D It' a bolt-on as well so no neck through.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1408961630' post='2534870']
They were saying on the GP at the w/e F1 cars now have vibration sensors and if they pass a certain level they have to retire the car/change the tyres. Something to do with the suspension components and in order to get them light/strong there is a trade off and they can just shake to bits due to tyre degradation
[/quote]

Yeah now you mention it, after one of the Mercedes (was it?) flat-spotted his tyre and with the ensuing vibration he asked his pit crew about it and they said it was just about at the limit; I know suspensions have failed after hitting kerbs hard... watching all the bits flying off front wings after contact and the shards left on track afterwards... it's strong and light but not quite as resilient as they'd like.

I understand as well that Status ended up having to put truss rods inside their necks; earlier versions didn't have them and they weren't quite as stable as they'd hoped.