Why become a member? ×

Guitar Village, Farnham

UglyDog

Spent a terrific day at this lovely establishment yesterday -- went along with my jazz guitarist mate, who was intending to try out some of the Peerless guitars on their website and a very nice Gibbo ES345; as it turned out, the Peerless were somewhat disappointing and the 345 had too many 'but's for a £3k guitar, but he did come away clutching a simply beautiful D'Angelico much like [url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/large/105/11063017440129.jpg"]this one[/url], so the day was a result :)
I had a mooch around in their bassment while he was noodling with the 345, and tried out a few choice instruments. First up was a Fender Dimension 5 string which was completely underwhelming -- dull and lifeless, just not at all pleasant. Next up was a '75 Jazz which just oozed The Funk and was fabulous in every way (apart from the ashtrays which just got in the way, but that's not a fault just a preference) and given the cash I would have walked out with it. Had a quick blast on the new Ibanez singlecut BTB 6 string which, once you get past the fairly fugly looks, is a delight -- very responsive and alive, great tones and playability. Last and best of all IMO, was an Ibanez SRF705 fretless fiver. I absolutely loved it (apart from the flatwounds which I hate but again that's a preference not a fault). The piezo bridge adds a whole extra dimension to the tonal palette, it's a delight to play and extremely light into the bargain. Superbly built and finished. The best fretless I have played in a very long time, and I am now seriously GASsing for one. Damn.
Thanks to the guys at Guitar Village for running such a lovely shop and being such nice people.

I lived in Farnham for about 7 years and bought an SWR Baby Blue amp at the GV. It's a great shop but I cannot recall any basses when I was there (my amp was a second hand one someone had traded in). They must have had some but all I can remember is cheap sh*t, massive hollow body Jazz guitars for £5k and a British Racing Green Fender Strat for £20K+. I certainly never tried a bass out in there (but I hardly ever try basses out as I am never seeking actually to buy one :))

I too used to live in Farnham and remember there being a bit of bass stuff in there, but not much - never tried anything as it didn't tickle my fancy.

Some serious guitar equipment though, top end Gibson, PRS and ESP stuff from what I remember.

Staff seemed like decent chaps, always pleasant when I was buying strings or valves.

I really like GV as a shop, lots of little nooks and crannies.

D'Angelico = yum! I've always wanted a top drawer jazz box but just can't justify spending the cash.

Interesting on the Dimension bass, I've been wanting to try one for a while but the arrival date for stock at GG (way more local) keeps moving out and I suspect some problems with Fender UK there.

Ibanez basses are amazing it has to be said and the addition of a piezo bridge on a fretless is such a no brainer I'm surprised that you don't see it more often. Now if only Ibby would make a Rob Allen alike for the price of their Premium range.

Can only say I had an experience at the other end of the scale. The owner clearly thought I wasn't worthy of viewing the nice 6 string stuff on the first floor and discouraged me from going up there. This when I had basses at home easily worth at least as much as the guitars upstairs.

Never set foot in the place since and won't again - the bloke was a complete ar$e.

Bought my Gretsch Duo Jet in there about 4 years ago. Last time I was in they had a great selection of basses in the cellar, including The Best Jazz Wot I Have Ever Played. Someone off BC bought it the following week (I forget who).

Also been in with other people to act in an advisory capacity (ahem).

I've never found them less than helpful.

I've always found it an interesting shop to visit. Like most guitar shops it has a small selection of basses compared to guitars but i've seen some really nice and interesting basses there over the years.

I went there once a couple of days after their annual sale had ended to buy a mandolin they had on offer in the sale. The price had gone back the the regular price but when i mentioned i couldn't get down to them during the sale they let me have it at the sale price which was a very good result for me.

GV has always been OK, IMHO. Usually some interesting vintage pieces upstairs, but not much of a bass focus as I remember. Haven't been for a while, mind.

Lots of menopausal media/banking/insurance blokes up that Farnham way, many of whom aspire to start blues bands with other menopausal media/banking/insurance blokes. Sometimes there are 'Project Managers'.

Someone has to sell them AAAA+ top PRS's with birds and hand wired snakeskin edition Boogie combos for the twice yearly rendition of Red House at the tennis club. Oh, and you'll need a Bose PA sir..

;)

[quote name='bassninja' timestamp='1408743321' post='2533232']
Lots of menopausal media/banking/insurance blokes up that Farnham way, many of whom aspire to start blues bands with other menopausal media/banking/insurance blokes. Sometimes there are 'Project Managers'.
[/quote]

I LOL'd and I work for a tech co in London...

[quote name='bassninja' timestamp='1408743321' post='2533232']
Lots of menopausal media/banking/insurance blokes up that Farnham way, many of whom aspire to start blues bands with other menopausal media/banking/insurance blokes. Sometimes there are 'Project Managers'.[/quote]

Ha, my bruv-in-law plays guitar and lived in Farnham. He was a techy bloke for a bank. Menopausal banking blokes - love it.

Shop sounds good though, might have to nip in if I'm up that way.