Why become a member? ×

String question

enigmatic

What strings do you use on your 5 string ?.

I use DR Lo-Rider nickels, a nice mellow, but still bright sound, and just the right amount of tension.

Why not just use a 5 string set like you already use, and add a C string seperately, that's what I tend to do, I find it hard to get a 6 string set of the Lo-rider nickels, my C is by Elixir.

It also makes it cheaper when it comes to new string time each month, I don't change the C when I change the others.

All very good ideas, however ......

I use La Bella Slappers on my 5 and as it turns out, they do make a 6 string set it's just my normal web shop doesn't sell them. (I thought they stocked the whole range!)

So i had to get them at Bass Gallery at 1.5 the price! But i'm all happy again, so what price d'you put on happiness?

DR Hi-beams 30-130. Most decent quality 6-strings I have played/owned sounded so much better. D'addario EXL1656 also very good (and a monstrous .135 B!).
I had a cheapo Yamaha that only worked with a tapered B (which I don't like so I got rid of it!) so I found Warwick Black Label to be the best. The F-basses I have tried only sounded good with LaBella SuperSteps. In short it is worth trying a few brands and see which one makes the bass sing...