Why become a member? ×

Critique A Bass Player Wanted Ad.

blue

[u][b]Let's Keep This Topic Alive[/b][/u]

Here is another interesting ad;

[i]The Funtree Cucks are looking for a cool as hell aggressive bassist that has a great set of ears, timing and, an ability to ROCK/have fun on stage! we are a ROCK band that plays country riffs and tunes heavy and hard as well as a few traditional sounding tunes with a twist! We call our style "Heavy Hybrid honkytonk!" lol Be advised though: WE ARE A ROCK BAND! we just jam in a country style... ish. :D
To join us you will need a few things:

Availability to practice once a week,
Reasonable gear,
A willingness to get into character,
A great sense of rhythm and MOST OF ALL...
OBJECTIVITY AND A GREAT SENSE OF HUMOUR!

Age is NOT important but a lack of DRAMA is so... No DIVAS!!! :D
Get back to me asap if you want more info or, to set up a quick audition... We are wanting to fill this spot asap.
Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks a ton for reading this![/i]

I thought this one looked pretty good,especially if someone was looking for work. Nice ad and cool web page,however when I looked at their schedule something was missing (gigs). The one club they list is a no-pay originals venue.

Enter the site and look under shows?

[url="http://www.funtreecucks.com/"]http://www.funtreecucks.com/[/url]

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1406558706' post='2512420']
Nice ad and cool web page ...
[/quote]

This is humour (US = humor) right?

The website, such as it is, appears to be designed to be as offensive as possible in a half-built, unfinished sort of way.

And any band whose 'Next Gig' is in May 2014 needs to take a serious look at themselves.

And surely [i][b]someone [/b][/i]in Milwaukee knows how to spell Garibaldi correctly. He was actually quite famous, you know ...

I think when I said [i]"nice ad and cool web page[/i]" I was looking at the picture of the young lady on their page cover. :D

But yeah, those gig dates are a big [i]"red flag"[/i].And the band is directing you to go to their web-site in the ad?

Further proving a point, good, legit, money making opportunities are rarely released publically.

Blue

Edited by blue

[i]Us: modern pop, rock and country cover band. We play complex, interesting, fun, upbeat party rock songs with both male and female leads. Connections to all major festivals and venues. Playing as many as 20 gigs in spring/summer and at least once a month during fall/winter. Corporate sponsorship.

Non-negotiable: you must be available for all shows including holidays and some weekdays. Absolutely no smokers of any kind. Bad attitudes will not be accepted.[/i]

[i]I asked a few detailed questions about this opportunity and received a response[/i];

[i]Yes, we're a "start up" project that's got major sponsorship, headlining multiple major festivals including State Fair and pulling up to $300 per person per show - minimum 20 shows per summer. All contracted right now. [/i]

Who knows, they might be legit. A start up with major sponsorship?

Blue

It is going to be difficult to get all that right.
What nakes a start-up project a headliner..?
$300 per head means pulling in a $2000 show, which means you need to make
sense of the market they are in/aiming at.
I don't see how anyone can committ until they see the money and the diary
and someone wanting that money is going to expect it to be there right away
otherwise they'll be taking other bookings.

Not saying I would regard them as dreamers but you wouldn't put all your eggs in this basket
until things firmed up, which could end up a waste of time for both parties...
If things are contracted, I'd want to see the contracts ...not an unreasonable ask..?
They are asking for a lot of faith, IMO.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1406565922' post='2512510']
...good, legit, money-making opportunities are rarely released publicly.
[/quote]

Tru dat - and even when they are the thinking is, 'if it looks too good to be true, then it probably is' and thus ignored. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1406559441' post='2512429']
This is humour (US = humor) right?

The website, such as it is, appears to be designed to be as offensive as possible in a half-built, unfinished sort of way.

And any band whose 'Next Gig' is in May 2014 needs to take a serious look at themselves.

And surely [i][b]someone [/b][/i]in Milwaukee knows how to spell Garibaldi correctly. He was actually quite famous, you know ...
[/quote]

I received a response from The Funtree Cucks, Just as I thought, it's a [i]"for fun only"[/i] opportinity. Check it out.

hey Blue...[font=HelveticaNeue,]
We had a bunch on the books... including Summer fest BUT... Broke before we played the gigs. Regardless... we are all seasoned players too and have been in bands for 10-25 years but... Are not looking to do this for pay at all... Just for fun so... :) Todd[/font]

The age thing would be limiting, we advertised for a lead guitarist, and we had a 16 year old lad turn up... He was/is bloody amazing!
We gave him the job and he is still with us, a year and a half later!