Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yamaha Magicstomp Bass

Jean-Luc Pickguard

When I was in Brum at the weekend I checked out a few music shops including Fair Deal. In the window they had a slightly dusty and unloved looking Magicstomp bass pedal. I tried it, liked it & adopted it for £69.99.

I only ever use a bit of compression/limiting & slight distortion, which this seems to do very well, but the other fx are pretty good as well in particular the autowah seems to be a bit better than the few stand-alone pedals I've tried and the feedback busting facility could be useful with double bass. The software to edit patches on a laptop via usb is a good idea. Also the fact that you have access to all the guitar and acoustic patches in the one pedal and some serious reverbs is a bonus. I like the idea of just using this single pedal for gigs rather than separates or my big boss GT6B.
Anyone have any experience of the magicstomp? Any tips?

i almost bought that pedal a few years back....i didn't realize it did all that though!

tbh, it's actually the only multi-fx that i ever considered buying, but i had heard at the time that the build quality/durability is not great? what do you think of it?

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='247178' date='Jul 24 2008, 07:07 PM']Yep I've got one, great pedal but Vista not supported.

Then again Line 6 refuse to provise Vista drivers for the Bass Pod XT live too :)

Peter[/quote]

I had one, didn't get to try it with vista, but it was a great piece of kit, px'd it for Bass Pod XTLive, which is also an excellent piece of kit, and I have got that talking to Vista. Have you tried doing the compatability mode thing?

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='247178' date='Jul 24 2008, 07:07 PM']Yep I've got one, great pedal but Vista not supported.

Then again Line 6 refuse to provise Vista drivers for the Bass Pod XT live too :)

Peter[/quote]

Line6 have now released Vista drivers for the Bass Pod XT Live (8th of July), just go to the download page... Too late for me, as I've just switched to a Mac for all my music apps

Joao

Looks like theres a vista driver for the magicstomp that should work => [url="http://www.global.yamaha.com/download/usb_midi/"]here[/url] <=

I'm not going to bother trying to put it on my big vista laptop though as I have grown to hate vista with a passion and my lovely new Advent 4211 (rebadged MSI Wind) Netbook came with XP. It works great on that. If only there was an Ubuntu driver & editing app as I have it dual booting and only use XP for a select few jobs. It would also be nice if it could be used as a sound interface for the PC over usb, but its basically a midi interface acting as a transport for sending the patch data.

Regarding the pedal itself, the build quality seems to be good & sturdy, the case is plastic, but it seems to be very chunky and the sockets appear to be much more heavy duty than most other pedals I've used. I'll probably baby it & keep it in the original box, or make a case for it.

Just to buck the trend I'd like to add my twopenneth on the Vista vs XP debate.

My 1st homebuild PC was in the early days of XP and proved a nightmare to set up. The usual saga of instability ensued until SP2 was installed and seemed to sort things out.

Vista on the other hand, with this much more suitable home built PC and my Vaio laptop has been absolute joy.

So Vista? Bring it on :)

And thanks for the link :huh:

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing