Why become a member? ×

Static noise on my amp

badboy1984

I recently moved house and took all my gear with me to the new house. After a few days of madness I have manage to setup my computer and all the bass gear in a room.
First thing I do is to play some bass but when I turn my Trace Ellio GP11 on it have some static/popping noise constantly on (not high volume) but when I start plugging away you can't really hear it specially on high volume or away from the amp. This only happen after moved house.

I thought is the power cable or speaker cable is causing the problem, so I try the same cables on my Ashdown LB30 and everything is fine going into the same cab (Trace 1153).

So I thought is the extension cable is causing the problem so I plug the amp directly to the power socket but it still have the static/popping noise.

It haven't done this before in the old house ....... not sure what is the problem.

Only thing is different is the amp is now next to my pc and mac where as before it sits in a different room.

Is the amp is broken or I should stop worrying about it and still use it on a gig because it doesn't effect the tone.

Could be grounding problems on the house electric instalation or a simple interference with a device using the same power branch (kitchen appliances, light bulbs, etc.). Try it in a different room and when possible on a different house just to make sure that the amp is fine.

Try it in a different room and it works fine, probably the wall socket share the same with my computer wall socket which causes the problem. As long as I know it works fine then I'm all cool. I mainly practice using headphone at home most of the time anyway.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1404220621' post='2490437']
Could be grounding problems on the house electric instalation or a simple interference with a device using the same power branch (kitchen appliances, light bulbs, etc.). Try it in a different room and when possible on a different house just to make sure that the amp is fine.
[/quote]

In some areas the type of electricity earthing arangements change and depending on type or your locality can mean the earthing of your property is what is called 'dirty' as there are lots of little spikes and earthleakage on the supply.

We have this problem sometimes when we rehearse as our studio is in railway arches under railway lines with 25 Kilo Volt overhead line equipment. The noise levels literally change with the weather.