Why become a member? ×

Aguilar GS412 vs DB412

jsixties

Hi guys,
I'm going to purchase one of these cabs at a very good price (same in both models) and it's not easy for me to choose between both. I have owned and played in the past many smaller DB and GS cabs that I know well, but I don't have experience about the 412 ones.
I know the DB is voiced with more mids than the GS so maybe it will be more clear and focused, but it weights 149 lbs given the 7 ply construction vs 116 lbs of the 13 plywood construction of the GS.
Do you have listened or played one of these particular cabs? Your thoughs or preferences of one over the other?
Thanks a lot for your time.

Not played the 412's but I have played 2x112 in both GS and DB and find the DB's constantly better.
The voicing is indeed shaped and whilst I like GS212's I can only use one with new strings as then the
sound is nicely spikey and peaky. The DB212 has less lows..but it has enough, and the better mid voicing
so more forgiving to a tweak of EQ should you need it.

FWIW, my best DB config is a DB212 plus DB210 and I think I'd prefer that to an 810.
I like a single 212 more than 2x210 but am thinking 412 would be too much .. probably too dark..??

Not exactly what you asked for tho'..best I could do

What sort of sound are you after Javier?

I know two guys who use big Aguilar rigs and one is very much a DB player and the other a GS.

I've always liked the DB's but one of my favourite ever rigs is a DB750 into a pair of GS 410's!

Hi Barrie! Thank you man.
I am an old school guy in terms of tone, so I guess the GS sound works better for me so it's the classic Aguilar trademark sound.
In the other hand I'm almost sure that these DB cabs are better in presence and definition giving their special voicing... and this is a plus in big gigs.
The weight factor will be at the end quite important too.

Just to muddle the waters a bit more... I ran a DB212 plus DB210 with a 750 last night and
it reconfirmed my opinion that this is a great modular rig.
The 212 carries the big bass and the 210 adds bite at a nice height level. The 210 carries
that peakiness into the stage area for the rest of the band as well. Loved it and the carry
is ok for non crewed gigs as well. Bonus.

The GS is basically a classic Eden if that helps. I think the 410 is virtually identical to the ones that seemed to be on every stage for an American artist for many years.

The actual speakers in GS & DB's are identical so it's purely the cab design that changes the sound. The GS412 has now been discontinued so there obviously wasn't a huge demand for it. This will almost certainly be reflected in the price if you come to re-sell. GS's are always harder to sell and carry a lower value on the used market.

Paul Turner uses a pair of GS 410's for big gigs and they sound amazing for his brand of funk with both 4 and 5 string basses. I saw him use this rig with a DB751 and it was simply the best live bass tone I've ever heard :)

I guess because of this association I always think of the GS being more of a funk and soul cab and the DB to more rocky. In all honesty you can get a great sound from both cabs - unless I had a road crew the weight difference alone would push me towards a GS (and I'd try to negotiate a discount because it's discontinued and harder to sell).