Why become a member? ×

Iron Ether changing their sales model

Roland Rock

I think that Iron Ether went through a bit of a bad patch a while back, when
-They had to retro fix people's bleed-issue Subterrenas, which in turn led to a big backlog of normal orders, and excruciating wait times.
-Then they stopped taking new orders altogether, an awful decision to have to make :-(
-Then they re-opened offering normal service but added custom colour options.

Now it seems that they are moving towards an off-the-shelf sales model (see below from the website) and away from bespoke. At least it means that you can buy the pedal and it will be shipped immediately.

It makes sense, but I'm glad that I got my Subterrenea order in before this, as I had a specific colour in mind (actually no colour, just the silver), and I don't mind waiting for it.

Here's hoping that this move puts the company back in people's good books :-)

"Instead of building pedals to order for you, I’ll be taking a different approach from now on, building things in advance and putting them up with individual photos or batch photos on [third-party website to be determined]. Custom colors or designs to your specs will therefore not be offered, but there will no longer be a wait of a month or more, and more exciting, I’ll be making things that were not previously available, including:
Strange things
Mysterious things
Iron Ether favorites with special new features
Stylish visual designs and finishes
New pedals
Eurorack modules"

Edited by Roland Rock

Personally, im a little disappointed. Shure, there where quite a long wait time on the pedals, but the communication from Taylor was good from what i hear, and the gap where they werent making pedals had some explanations behind it (illness and a couple of the guys who build the pedal left). I was hoping to get a new frantabit made, in a larger case, with different knobs for each sample rate mode, and a separate footswitch to switch between them.

I guess as long as they keep pumping out pedals to the same quality though, thats the main thing.

Edited by elephantgrey

This is the exact model I'll take on when I'm ready to get Poultone off the ground properly.
As a one person operation, why stress yourself out and potentially disappoint customers when you can just build a batch and sell them when ready.
Plenty of pedal builders do this, including Mr Black.

Si

I hope he does sort things out. I am still quite annoyed at Taylor for not contacting the owners of the Subterreneas with the bleed issue offering the fix; I am still waiting for my offer of a repair, albeit I sold the pedal some months ago.

Hopefully he will get his sh*t together as his pedals are fantastic!

I got my Frantabit in the post on Tuesday so unless he releases something else I 'must have' then it's fairly irrelevant for me.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1403697350' post='2485378']
This is the exact model I'll take on when I'm ready to get Poultone off the ground properly.
As a one person operation, why stress yourself out and potentially disappoint customers when you can just build a batch and sell them when ready.[/quote]

Works for Bugbrand. Inflates the prices quite nicely as well. A good way to go unless/until you have massive demand you need/want to keep up with.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1403697350' post='2485378']
As a one person operation, why stress yourself out and potentially disappoint customers when you can just build a batch and sell them when ready.
Plenty of pedal builders do this, including Mr Black.

Si
[/quote]

Spencer at 3Leaf does this