Why become a member? ×

Hello

lowrentdiscographer

How-Do.

I've 'played' for about 12 years and I suck if I'm being honest :huh: :blush:

Gear wise, I owned a Westfield P copy which died through neglect and was replaced about 7 years ago with a Yamaha RX thing with active J/P set, which I have defo not neglected and is doing fine service. I have 2 small practice amps, a Park15 and an Aria50 (which is really just a 30, huh?)

All I've ever done is try to play bits from songs that I like. I now find myself, at 30, in my first band situation, which is really showing the cracks and flaws.

I'm here to try and improve myself a bit, and maybe to try and pick up a meatier combo amp when (if) the time comes.

Anyway, site looks good and useful, but be ready for lots of stoopid q's, and my ashamed silince (you will probably NEVER hear me play :) )

S.

Hi and welcome! :)

Ok, advice & suggestions.

1. Find a bass tutor close to you. Look in this thread - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=26"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=26[/url] A few hours tuition - and a lot more hours spent on properly structured practice that addresses your faults/weaknesses/general suckingness will really improve your technique.

2. Have a great time in the band!

Hamster

Welcome! Having been a bedroom bassist for 20 years I agree there is nothing like being in a band to improve your timing, awareness and skills.

I have moved seamlessly from P1sspoor to barely adequate :) and had a great time getting there!

As someone who is still somewhat p1sspoor but ws a lot worse, I have some sympathy - it wasnt till I went back to basics and worked hard on my timing, posture, left hand positioning and scalar knowledge that I started to sound even halfway reasonable. You'll do better with a tutor than by trying to do it yourself as I did.