Why become a member? ×

Best way to clean markbass volume control

scalpy

Hi all. Being a complete electronic numpty I apologise if this is too straightforward but my lmt500 has got a bit scratchy on the old volume knob. This also pulls out to become the mute (not my favourite design feature) I keep it cased or covered at all times but it sounds horrible and unprofessional adjusting it at the moment. The late great otto fixed a similar problem on my bass by spraying tons of switch cleaner around but I am very hesitant about applying the same stuff to my amp. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I use switch cleaner what I do is take the knob off the pot and then I use a tight fitting length of clear plastic tubing put that over the pot shaft to form a tight fit then give it several smallish blasts of the cleaner down the tube them I remove the tube turn the pot from left to right a few times and you will feel it become easier to turn and then I just repeat the process again if needed

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1402860624' post='2477378']
Thank you people. Just wondering now if there's an ideal brand of switch cleaner?
[/quote] [url="http://www.radioworld.co.uk/Servisol_SUPER_10_Switch_Cleaning_Lubricant?gclid=CjkKEQjwiPWcBRCTj_-Vz8fE3cMBEiQAZIMSUmSa4FITOcjCWvPLnLQbv3RBYy9rFBWgRJG5D1PwcDPw_wcB"]http://www.radioworl...JG5D1PwcDPw_wcB[/url]

Most guys use that but it is all pretty much the same :) just don't use WD-40 in there

Edited by Thunderbird

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1402776704' post='2476771']
I use switch cleaner what I do is take the knob off the pot and then I use a tight fitting length of clear plastic tubing put that over the pot shaft to form a tight fit then give it several smallish blasts of the cleaner down the tube them I remove the tube turn the pot from left to right a few times and you will feel it become easier to turn and then I just repeat the process again if needed
[/quote]
I prefer to get to the back of the pot by removing the top of the case or whatever. Most pots have a little indent on the edge of the back surface, and this is the opening into which I insert the switch cleaner applicator tube. Some pots incorporate a lubricant to allow the shaft to move freely (please - save it for OT!), and if you spray switch-cleaner in at the front where the shaft emerges from the threaded portion, you risk washing away that lube. (IIRC, Alesis specifically warn against this. )