Why become a member? ×

Spector Euro 5lx vs 4lx

Damonjames

Hey guys n gals just after some opinions off those
Of you who have owned or played both. I am mostly interested in the tone difference between the P/J config of the 4 vs the soapbars on the 5, are they close enough to call the same or are they a completely different beast? I am assuming they both run the tone pump pre??

I've got a 5LX with the EMG DC soapbar pickups however just to confuse things, Spector have recently switched to using EMG TW soapbar pickups. The DC is a modern sounding humbucker with quite an aggressive attack and the TW is switchable between humbucker and single coil modes, however the TW humbucker mode is designed to be more traditional / vintage in its sound.
So even comparing Euros with what at first sight looks like the same pickups might turn out to be entirely different pickups.

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1402344069' post='2472507']
I found the PJ 4 string to be growlier than the 5 with soapbars. Both still unmistakeably Spector, and the fiver still had gobfuls of aggression.
[/quote]

That's what I was worried about! Also read some comments about the neck being on the chunkier side on the 5 than the 4, both would be reasons to stay with the 4!!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1402396509' post='2472938']
That's what I was worried about! Also read some comments about the neck being on the chunkier side on the 5 than the 4, both would be reasons to stay with the 4!!
[/quote]

I'm sure you can get EMG PJs in the standard soapbar casing. A very straightforward swap. Although as I said before, I can't imagine being left wanting by the fiver - it's just a bit smoother. I only switched to the 4 string because I'm more at home with them - the tonal difference was only noticed after.
And the 5 string neck is by it's very nature chunkier than the 4, but still very comfortable. Best low B I've ever played.

I've not found Spector 5's to have overly chunky necks. They usually come with narrow string spacing and used to be one of my favourite 5's (I only play 4 now) because of this.

The Euro models almost all come with optional Aguilar pickups as well now so there's lots of tone options if you're buying new.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1402406616' post='2473099']
Have you played a music nan stingray 5 Cosmo? How does it compare to the spector??
[/quote]

Sorry to hijack your question but I've owned both & can safely say that, in my opinion, the Spector is by far & away the better bass.
I preferred the neck on the Spector, the build quality & playability was far superior & it just kicked the Stingrays arse in every which way.
As someone else has already said - best B string I've ever heard.

(I think it was Cosmo's old Euro 5LX that I had actually)

I had both 4LX, 5LX and currently also own one 5LX.

The 4LX I had was the alder/walnut base with poplar top. Neck was chunky for a 4 string. The whole thing sounded a lot weaker than my 5 string Euro. Not output-wise, but overall. My friend had two 4 string euros with same result (compared to the Euro 5)
The sound is personal preference anyway.

The 5 string Euros I had and have currently have great necks for me. Not Ibanez SR-like thin, but I would not call them chumky by my standards.
They [size=4]are 35" as opposed to the 34" of the standard Euro 4LX[/size]

[size=4]My Euro 5 sounds GREAT in any musical situation I've put through it so far. Live and in studio both. [/size]

[size=4]As for a comparison with Stingray 5. Both of these can be heard in almost any mix. I have found Spectors to have more variety due to the 2 pu config (assume you talk about single MM pickup Stingray5)[/size]
[size=4]Spector is a lot more comfortable for me due to the string spacing and smaller body. Also has better sounding B in my experience. (I have found B string to be hit or miss on SR5's. Not on Spectors, all Euro 5's I had were great on the B string)[/size]

Hope I was of help

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1402415428' post='2473251']
Thank for the replies, it's more to do with the neck thickness (as in between the thumb and fingers that bother me I have learned. I really love the playability of the ray 5!
[/quote]

I found the Stingray neck really uncomfortable & awkward whereas the Spector neck could have been made for me.

(I've also come to the conclusion that I don't like oiled/waxed neck finishes so that was another thing that I didn't like about the Stingray).

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1402421502' post='2473361']
That's something I hadn't factored in was the scale length, I'm a 34" only kind of guy. Cheers for all the help!!
[/quote]

The 35" scale really doesn't notice on the Spector because the body is a lot more compact than the Stingray - the Stingray neck felt longer to me.