Why become a member? ×

Does any one have experience of 4 / 6 string doublenecks?

12stringbassist

I had a Shergold 4 / 12 a few years ago. Loved it. Used bass pedals when I played the 12 string. Very versatile but incredibly heavy, infact, it was heavier than a heavy thing that was really heavy. I could only play it for about an hour before it wore a giant groove in my shoulder.

There are some seriously light basses out there. I'm thinking pawlonia bodies. But also short scale basses, e.g. a hofner type. Given that the bass would be the heavy part of the 4string/6string, you'd think that someone could make a reasonably light doubleneck. The only doubleneck I have is a cheap knockoff of a Aria Sinsonido, but it's 6/12 string, doesn't include bass. It's pretty light. Skylark guitars were selling them, but I bought mine second hand from gumtree. There was a single neck bass version, and I wondered about buying one and making a triple neck out of it, but it's not very good so there probably isn't much point in doing that.

Dave Perry of EAD cabs fame has recently inflicted GBH on a Status to produce a variant on the Steinberger 4/6 headless. It put in an appearance at Moffat:

I had a try on it - found it rather awkward, probably because it was hanging a little low and I haven't played a low-slung guitar since I was a teenager. Dave Perry didn't have any such problems.

I've got a Rick 4080 (and a 4080/12 as well). They do get a bit heavy after prolonged playing, so I ended up just using them on the songs they were required for. I had a "Steinberger" Spirit 4/6 for a few years, until it got stolen from my old house in Ealing. It was fine and a bit lighter than the Rick (I still preferred the Rick, but that's me!). Like bertbass I also used bass pedals when I was on 6 or 12 string.

• 1 month later...

In case anyone has been troubled by this topic, I ended up getting this one imported and it's a real honey.

This spec from [url="http://www.rondomusic.com/product5113.html"]http://www.rondomusi...roduct5113.html[/url]

Agile Valkyrie Double Neck Guitar HC 4/6 w/Case

Double Neck Guitar / Bass !
Double Neck 6 string and 4 string bass
Contoured, dual cutaway Solid 3 piece mahogany body (not a multi-ply, not alder!) for a great sound
Set in Maple neck with adjustable truss rod
Bound Rosewood fret-board with 20 jumbo frets (each neck) and a 13.7" radius neck for fast play
Trapezoidal pearloid inlays
Die-cast Grover tuners with 18-1 ratio for ultra fine tuning for the guitar. Agile tuners with 12-1 for the bass
Alnico humbucker pickups
Two volume and two tone controls per body section plus a three way pickup selector switch (each body section) to help you get the sound you want
Stop bar tailpiece and a four ply pickuguard (Black/White/Black/White) complete the look
[b]Weight 14 lbs[/b] - [i]Compared to a Rickenbacker 4003 which weighs 9.0lbs.[/i]
Overall length is 41" including the strap button
Width at the widest point is 17"
Body thickness 1 1/2" at edge
The neck is 1 5/8" wide at each nut
Scale Length Guitar 24 3/4" Bass:30"
Chrome hardware

Edited by 12stringbassist