Why become a member? ×

TRADED. PEASE REMOVE.. Fender 51 Precision bass with added Jazz pup. FS. Trade for guitar or bass
£400

itsmedunc

I've only just got this but it didn't take too long to discover that its far too heavy for me... so its up for sale or trade. Its a Mike Dirnt signature but the only marking to show its affiliation is a small star on the neckplate. It was made in around 2006 and is in very good condition for its years.

It has an added SD Jazz pickup and a stacked volume control installed to accommodate the extra pup. It also has had a neck re-shape done at PMT in Manchester to make it slimmer. You can see the difference in colour on the photo's where the reshape has ended at the headstock and at the heel. It has a great tonal variety due to the extra pup and sustains very well due to its weight and the Badass 2 bridge. Two pickguards included (the black one is just sat on in the photo's).

Collection from BB22SH or you can arrange a courier. I can add a hard case for another £20 if you want it shipping to be extra safe. I head towards the South Lakes frequently so could possibly meet up/deliver.

May trade for a lighter P or Jazz bass. Maybe Telecaster or Les Paul guitar, Orange SP212 Or whatever you have?

More photo's at -

[url="http://s871.photobucket.com/user/itsmedunc/library/Mike%20Dirnt?sort=3&page=1"]http://s871.photobuc...t?sort=3&page=1[/url]

Cheers

Dunc

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1401729706' post='2466277']
I'd have taken this off your hands had it not been for the neck reshaping. Very nice. And has given me some ideas.

CB
[/quote]

The necks are quite thick originally. I think the previous owner had it re-shaped as he doesn't have very big hands. Its still nice though and the work has been done well.

Here's an offer for you...
- source a full width neck with rosewood board and tele head
- have your luthier resist the urge to reshape
- and have him instead paint the rear and headstock black, apply a silver logo, and then lacquer

I'll give you a good price for this Duff McDirnt Cloudburst Tele Bass Special. You can even keep the tort plate and sell to someone else :-)

CB

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1401747198' post='2466563']
Here's an offer for you...
- source a full width neck with rosewood board and tele head
- have your luthier resist the urge to reshape
- and have him instead paint the rear and headstock black, apply a silver logo, and then lacquer

I'll give you a good price for this Duff McDirnt Cloudburst Tele Bass Special. You can even keep the tort plate and sell to someone else :-)

CB
[/quote]

Umm, that sounds like a quest!

I am the afore mentioned small handed former owner of this bass and can vouch that it is brilliant. I agonised on the trip home whether I had made a mistake in trading it, but after playing the model t, I know that I would never have come to terms with the neck. Even after having it thinned it was still too big for me.
If you are concerned it is too thin, my other bass is a jazz, and the dirnt was still too thick, it's closer to a standard precision now. I can also vouch that Dunc is a great guy to deal with!

I can't tell you the exact amount, but from memory it was about 3mm, evenly taken off the length of the neck. The profile still feel pretty much like a
Modern C profile, but it's maybe just a little flatter. It plays and feels like it was always meant to be that way, excepting the fact that it is waxed, not gloss finish.
As I said before, it feels a fairly close thickness/profile to a new American standard p neck which is what I think Steve used as a reference. He was concerned about taking too much off in case he uncovered a truss rod!!!
Dunc, how would you say it compares in feel to your old precision, because when I had a quick play, to my hands it didn't feel worlds apart???

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1401835124' post='2467451']
Wonder how easy it would be to find a luthier to refinish this neck in black/lacquer with a nice silver Fender Tele Bass Special logo. Hmm. I think I'm based too far North for that.

CB
[/quote]

I've contacted The Bass Doc to see if he can help. Will post his reply.

The nut width on these is 1.59 whereas the standard P is 1.62 so not a lot in it in terms of the nut width but these have a different neck to the standard p. If you like a telebass this one is a winner - I was the owner before Damon and got the black and tort plat made to mimic the Lakland 51p bass plate - no we fancy curls just a straight cut running past the P p/up.

These are really good solid P basses and you wouldn't know the green day connection as they have tastefully chosen not to whack tacky inlays etc on it. A great addition to anyone arsenal!

Edited by krispn

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1401870205' post='2467591']
The nut width on these is 1.59 whereas the standard P is 1.62 so not a lot in it in terms of the nut width but these have a different neck to the standard p. If you like a telebass this one is a winner - I was the owner before Damon and got the black and tort plat made to mimic the Lakland 51p bass plate - no we fancy curls just a straight cut running past the P p/up.

These are really good solid P basses and you wouldn't know the green day connection as they have tastefully chosen not to whack tacky inlays etc on it. A great addition to anyone arsenal!
[/quote]

Thanks for the input Krispn.

I'd be interested - even with this neck - but (as per our PM) with headstock and back of neck painted and lacquered black to match the body. Together with a silver Fender Tele Bass Special" logo. Although given my name, perhaps Fender Overcaster Bass might be more appropriate :-)

CB

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1401866158' post='2467543']
I've contacted The Bass Doc to see if he can help. Will post his reply.
[/quote]

I believe The Bass Doc isn't so good at the moment
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/237256-bass-doc/page__p__2455012__hl__the%20bass%20doc__fromsearch__1#entry2455012 Will post any reply asap.

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1401987559' post='2468983']
We'll need a standard doc added to the the team I guess. Man this is becoming a big project :-)

CB

PS: Bump :-)
[/quote]

I'm sure he will be back in business soon. It says in the link that someone has spoken to him recently. Get well soon Bass Doc. :)

[quote name='6feet7' timestamp='1402334031' post='2472352']
trade??
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/237147-aria-pro-2-sb-1200-japan-price-drop/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]
John
[/quote]

Thats very tempting indeed. I'll have a think...

Cheers