Why become a member? ×

Looking for pedal to add dirt alongside vt.

Guinness21

I've got a Blower Box too, and it is awesome! Using it alongside my COG TK-421 for multiple RAT gain stages at present, though three things to note:[list=1]
[*]It is an aggressive and full on pedal. You can get overdrive from it at lower gain, but it's still a cutting clanky, gnarley sound!
[*]It's not currently available over here, so you'd need to buy from the US
[*]It looks funny (in my opinion). Never really heard Voivod, but if you're not a fan of slightly over-the-top, cartoon like etching you'll probably want to put some tape over it:
[/list]
[url="http://s66.photobucket.com/user/albakio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140528_135307.jpg.html"][/url]

I've had a Rat Tail before though, and I thought my COG TK-421 was better than that, but the Blower Box totally shits on it (the Rat Tail).

Edited by bakerster135

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1402061650' post='2469671']
Yeah, people have been saying good things about the idiotbox. The knightfall is definitely a contender, would using a diamond bass comp with it affect the sound coming from it?
[/quote]

Yes, it would er, make it sound more compressed. And there's the EQ too of course.

The Diamond also has an internally switchable hi-cut filter, with that on it will roll off the highs slightly if placed after drive pedals.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1402069547' post='2469795']
Yes, it would er, make it sound more compressed. And there's the EQ too of course.

The Diamond also has an internally switchable hi-cut filter, with that on it will roll off the highs slightly if placed after drive pedals.
[/quote]

The only reason I said that was because someone on talkbass (can't remember who) said that the diamond narrows the sound of darkglass pedals. So I just thought it would be worth checking...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1401719657' post='2466124']
Ah so you're still working on tweaks for it eh? External switches for the clipping options, or at least a hole to access the DIP switches without a screwdriver would be great!
[/quote]

I am 99.99% sure that I will probably not think about any further potential changes that I may be thinking about already... if you catch my drift! Diode selection will remain internal to keep the available selection large, though I am having a look at an access port on the bottom panel.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1402018316' post='2469309']
Say hypothetically I went for the knightfall 66, how would you suggest I use it? As a designated overdrive pedal to kick it up a notch from my standard tone, which includes a tech 21 vt bass? OR, would you use it in place of the tech 21 vt bass for warmth and suggest I look at another overdrive pedal?
[/quote]

It's designed to be a two-channel pedal, with a deliberately-shared EQ so that the second channel is a "more" rather than a totally different sound. It can be setup with one channel as your always-on "warm" sound, with the second channel offering a higher gain version of that same sound, or as an OD/Distortion with two levels of dirt. It really depends on what else you're using and whether you like to have an always-on OD really. I have used it in gig settings in both of the above examples. As you mention you want a dedicated overdrive, I would take that to mean you want to alter the tone when using that pedal, correct? If that's the case and you were using a 66 in that setup, you could go either way and either go for 66+VT or 66+VMT, for example. I know Danbowskill was running 66+VMT so he may be able to offer you some advice on that front!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1402069402' post='2469792']
Put tape over that work of art? Blasphemy!
[/quote]

I agree, lovely etch!

Mods - as ever I've tried to answer questions regarding my stuff, but if I've overstepped any marks just give me a nudge :)

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1402309680' post='2471861']
I am 99.99% sure that I will probably not think about any further potential changes that I may be thinking about already... if you catch my drift! Diode selection will remain internal to keep the available selection large, though I am having a look at an access port on the bottom panel.

It's designed to be a two-channel pedal, with a deliberately-shared EQ so that the second channel is a "more" rather than a totally different sound. It can be setup with one channel as your always-on "warm" sound, with the second channel offering a higher gain version of that same sound, or as an OD/Distortion with two levels of dirt. It really depends on what else you're using and whether you like to have an always-on OD really. I have used it in gig settings in both of the above examples. As you mention you want a dedicated overdrive, I would take that to mean you want to alter the tone when using that pedal, correct? If that's the case and you were using a 66 in that setup, you could go either way and either go for 66+VT or 66+VMT, for example. I know Danbowskill was running 66+VMT so he may be able to offer you some advice on that front!

I agree, lovely etch!

Mods - as ever I've tried to answer questions regarding my stuff, but if I've overstepped any marks just give me a nudge :)
[/quote]

Thanks very much for the response :) well if it's capable of warm sound and higher gain od with the two settings, maybe I could just use that. Will definitely ask [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Danbowskill though. Does the 66 work well with active, high-output basses?[/font][/color]

• 3 weeks later...

I use my 66 as it was described by Tom and it works great, channel 1 is "always on" OD and channel 2 is pretty high gain gnarly one. This piece is definately a keeper, I got many compliments about the sound after live gigs and the combination of spector euro 5lx, COG kn66 and svt vr/810 is just superb.

guiness21 - yes it works well, my spector euro5 lx is a high output bass (my version of tone pump does not have trim to set the level) and it works brilliant. I used it also with my former Sadowsky M24 which had also high output (not as hot as spector) and it also worked well.

I was using it as amp-Vtbass-cog 66, vt as my primary tone and the 66 as my dirt( our songs are full of dirt needless to say ;-))

Just got me a ampeg svt cl, used the 66 with it on Sunday...,,.,.... wow! Fandabiedozzie!Never tried any with an active bass though? Imagine it would sound great.

Edited by danbowskill

Just to add to the Knightfall love, I run two of them for different levels of dirt. I have tried virtually everything out there that could be considered as a competitor and nothing has knocked the Knightfalls out of their positions on my board. They are just so organically musical and yet retain good attack, which IME has been a hard thing for manufacturers to find.

I will add that the output from the KNightfall is very mid heavy. I have a parametric EQ running after, chopping out a good portion somewhere around 400-600 Hz. Without this I would not like the pedal.
I also find that running the KNightfalls through a blend pedal (blend is obviously already there in the "66" version) is almost essential to get the best out of the pedal.
They really are quite remarkable OD pedals.