Why become a member? ×

G&L Tribute L2000

Hank Scorpio

[attachment=163762:l2000.jpg]

Picked up this over the weekend, my first G&L and my first bass with an active option. Roughly 9lbs, big neck but very comfortable to play, BIG output from the humbuckers, a lot of variety in tones from the various knobs & switches as I'm sure most people know.

This bass has already drastically changed the way I look at dialling in a sound. With my passive basses, it's very rare that I don't have volume & tone wide open - I learnt very quickly that way of thinking wouldn't work with this bass! The series/parallel option makes a huge difference, the tone knobs have a wide sweep in active and passive modes, and the pickups sound massive solo'd (I'm not getting quite as good a sound with both on, but haven't experimented with that a lot).

I'm guessing a few people have L2000/ASAT basses - what sort of bass settings are you favouring? Any tips for getting the best out of the instrument?

When I had mine, I ran it in passive most of the time. Can`t remember the settings but there is something like 42 possible variations. I just liked the sound. Really good bass by the way.

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='Hank Scorpio' timestamp='1401219308' post='2461429']
[attachment=163762:l2000.jpg]

Picked up this over the weekend, my first G&L and my first bass with an active option. Roughly 9lbs, big neck but very comfortable to play, BIG output from the humbuckers, a lot of variety in tones from the various knobs & switches as I'm sure most people know.

This bass has already drastically changed the way I look at dialling in a sound. With my passive basses, it's very rare that I don't have volume & tone wide open - I learnt very quickly that way of thinking wouldn't work with this bass! The series/parallel option makes a huge difference, the tone knobs have a wide sweep in active and passive modes, and the pickups sound massive solo'd (I'm not getting quite as good a sound with both on, but haven't experimented with that a lot).

I'm guessing a few people have L2000/ASAT basses - what sort of bass settings are you favouring? Any tips for getting the best out of the instrument?
[/quote]

Remember that it's not active EQ. Both the bass and treble controls are passive, cut only. The active thing is simply a line boost, with or without the treble boost.

I tended to have mine with the bass and treble starting at around 80%, that gives some room for more if you need it. I had mine modified to give series/single coil (inner coils)/parallel and my favourite setting was both pickups, single coil. Was kind of like having a parallel humbucker in a middle position. Of course that ups the total combination of switch positions to 27 instead of the stock 18, but I didn't muck about with it much. Always had it on passive, didn't really bother with the active and to be honest I found the treble boost rather harsh and scratchy.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1401264279' post='2461693']
Love the look and potential of these, just never had the opportunity to try one out.
[/quote]

Yeah, getting a shottie of one does seem to be a problem. The M series more so than the L. I'd say take the plunge on a second hand one - frequently seen going for £300-£350 and that's a hell of a lot of bass for the money. Don't like it? Flip it and you won't lose much money, if any, because that seems to be the price bracket they've settled into (and haven't moved much in a couple of years). The main caveat is that if you like a skinny neck, DO NOT get a Tribute L-2000 - half baseball bat springs to mind ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1401269113' post='2461764']
Yeah, getting a shottie of one does seem to be a problem. The M series more so than the L. I'd say take the plunge on a second hand one - frequently seen going for £300-£350 and that's a hell of a lot of bass for the money. Don't like it? Flip it and you won't lose much money, if any, because that seems to be the price bracket they've settled into (and haven't moved much in a couple of years). The main caveat is that if you like a skinny neck, DO NOT get a Tribute L-2000 - half baseball bat springs to mind ;)
[/quote]

Its definitely chunky - 1.75" nut, thicker than my other basses front to back, and a different radius too I believe - but it's just so comfortable. I don't have big hands, and there's occasionally a bit of a stretch, but it felt like a great fit from the moment I took it out of the box. Very fast finish, too.

Thanks for everyone's comments - I have a lot more playing around with it to do! Even with bass volume rolled off, and treble & bass around half, it still has balls.. I'm starting to think that live, it won't be a case of trying to sit in the mix, rather than reigning it in from smashing right through it.

Hi and welcome to the G&L club!

My ASAT serves me well for all occasions, anything from Ceilidhs to bass to the wall rock. It's always interesting reading how other people set up their bass but mine is always flat out with the volume/bass/treble, active, bass boost on and normally both pickups. Admittedly the gain on my amp is open by the smallest margin! It took me a while to get used to the sound of the bass but now my playing style has evolved. I have tried the m style pre on a student of mine's bass and it is more accessible, a nice modern take on the pickups, although it can overpower any amp if set up incorrectly. I'm too dyed in the wool to consider changing but for the money an m series has to be one of the best value basses out there, the 'tribute' logo has absolutely no detriment to the quality.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1401287754' post='2462068']

My ASAT serves me well for all occasions, anything from Ceilidhs to bass to the wall rock. It's always interesting reading how other people set up their bass but mine is always flat out with the volume/bass/treble, active, bass boost on and normally both pickups. Admittedly the gain on my amp is open by the smallest margin! It took me a while to get used to the sound of the bass but now my playing style has evolved. I have tried the m style pre on a student of mine's bass and it is more accessible, a nice modern take on the pickups, although it can overpower any amp if set up incorrectly. I'm too dyed in the wool to consider changing but for the money an m series has to be one of the best value basses out there, the 'tribute' logo has absolutely no detriment to the quality.
[/quote]

By "bass boost" do you mean "series"?

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1401289521' post='2462093']
Flipped towards the volume! Not one for technical terms!
[/quote]

The middle switch, a two way? If so, that's the parallel/series switch. Whichever is "louder", "thicker" and "bassier" is series :)

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1401287754' post='2462068']

[/quote]

Yeah, this bass is phenomenally well put together for the money, it feels solid as a rock. I can only imagine how good a USA G&L is if the price jump is warranted. I've only had it a few days, and to be honest it's making me want to pick up an accompanying M2000.. gulp. Would definitely need to sell some stuff to justify that!

Just gave the L2000 a blast with bridge pup solo'd, vol/bass/treble on full, in series mode, active w/out the treble boost. Woah! I couldn't try it at gig volume, but I can only imagine what it'd sound like in the mix. Without question the fullest sounding bridge pickup on any bass I've owned. It could be a while until I've stopped grinning like a cat every time I discover a new setting I like. Haven't touched my amp EQ in days..

I have the L1505, and I tend to go for passive and series, treble half-way, bass at 80%. This gives a 'vintage' voice imo (though I am using flats) - flicking to active brings in a more 'modern' voice.

I used to have an L2000 Tribute, and yes, there are a lot of options. Don't worry if you can't find a use for them all - you'll still find plenty of great, usable sounds.