Why become a member? ×

EQ'ing... How often?

Mr.T

Trouble with the early SM400's... the bass control really put the boom in there in the first place.
Not usable notched beyond 12 o'clock really... but the template of those amps still dominate
the thinking of todays' amp with the enhance control...
The addition of the semi par 4 band make is a very capable tone shaping amp, IMO.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1401281835' post='2461980']
A parametric works very well, you set it for a narrow notch and simply sweep the frequency until the boom-boom goes bye-bye. It's the best tool for the job, but seldom seen on bass heads, as most bass players tend to be intimidated by such high tech tools. :gas:
Parametrics are ubiquitous on good PA consoles.
[/quote]

That's where the zoom ms-60b is worth it's weight in gold. I use the two band parametric almost every gig to dial out room resonances.

I have a 15 band eq in my rack and will adjust to suit the room I'm playing in. There's a certain sound that fits with the band I play, however it still means that I'll have to tweak the graphic to get it.

We've just changed rehearsal rooms and that required a noticeable shift in eq to get my bass sounding good in the mix.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1401290012' post='2462102']
Trouble with the early SM400's... the bass control really put the boom in there in the first place.
Not usable notched beyond 12 o'clock really... but the template of those amps still dominate
the thinking of todays' amp with the enhance control...
The addition of the semi par 4 band make is a very capable tone shaping amp, IMO.
[/quote]

I found that, so I modded it to remove the Aural Enhance 'scoop'. When it runs with the EQ flat it really *is* flat!

I use a sansamp to both foh and back to my head. I let the sound guy worry about eg for foh and I use the graphic eq on my amp head to pinpoint and cut back problem frequencies on stage. Once gig starts I don't really touch anything.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Mr.T' timestamp='1401231584' post='2461597']

Thanks for the tip.
I am gigging twice this weekend with my RH450 and will try and soundcheck my gear (without the Guitard) and just tweak the 100 to 250hz area as you suggest.
I will then not touch my amp all night and see what affect the g**tar frequences are having on my sound.
[/quote]

I just want to say.. 'Thanks Bill' for that tip, it has really helped me with getting my sound.

I have set the frequency centres on my RH450 to 100 200 800 2000
For the last two gigs I have not needed to touch my EQ settings.... Happy days!

Tonight we were auditioning for a new DrumHitter in a hall that has been impossible to get even a half-decent bass sound.
All I had to do was dial down 4 clicks (approx 6db) of 100hz from what has become my standard setting.....and it was job done!

Edited by Mr.T

[quote name='Greg Edwards69' timestamp='1401307092' post='2462356']

That's where the zoom ms-60b is worth it's weight in gold. I use the two band parametric almost every gig to dial out room resonances.
[/quote]

+1 to using the MS60B and B3 this way. Powerful tools. That 2 band para is great; lets you select both Q and frequency ( and of course boost/cut amount).

Edited by funkle

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1403738937' post='2485914']

+1 to using the MS60B and B3 this way. Powerful tools. That 2 band para is great; lets you select both Q and frequency ( and of course boost/cut amount).
[/quote]

Out of interest....
Do you have a standard amp setting, then use the parametric EQ just to dial out any unwanted frequencies?
If so, what Q and frequency settings do you tend to use?

[quote name='Mr.T' timestamp='1403739641' post='2485918']

Out of interest....
Do you have a standard amp setting, then use the parametric EQ just to dial out any unwanted frequencies?
If so, what Q and frequency settings do you tend to use?
[/quote]

I set my Streamliner to flat. The EQ on that is not intuitive and the knobs interact. Talkbass has a good thread on this.

On board bass preamp does some tone shaping. (East J Retro). Often not needed.

Zoom pedal para EQ effect set to whatever suits the room. Small Q (broad freq range affected) does well for tone shaping, high Q (narrow freq range chosen) good for notch filtering. Q at 2 or 4 for musical sounding boosts; Q at 8 or 16 for narrow cuts.

Through studio headphones, I like a boost using Q=2 at 100Hz for recording an ash/maple jazz; this area can be much more of a problem live, and can need cutting. Bill's advice re: 100-250hz area being an issue live is spot on. Q, frequency, and depth of cut vary with room.