Why become a member? ×

Who do I choose to build me a bass?

There's so many great luthiers out there, I'm having trouble deciding. I finally decided I'm going to have my own custom bass built. To go with the other couple so I'll have a few good gigging instruments. Any recommendations? I'm looking for a luthier who will be really interested in what I want, not "oh you need to have one of my headstocks and one of my body shapes"

Any help will be appreciated. Split between about 6 minds atm.

Cheers guys

when i was looking for a custom builder i emailed a load of enquiries with generally what i was after and was surprised at how few replies i got, it seems that a lot of luithers either dont read their emails or just dont want any work, tbh im glad i started to search further afield or i never would have come across Xylem custom basses. i'll find out if it paid off in just a couple of weeks time, its lookin awesome though and anthony was full of ideas and options that i had never considered, cant wait :^)

I had Alan build me a 6 string, his very first, it was amazing in playability, neck stability, action was stupidly low and it was such a powerful sounding instrument. As Spoombung will testify, Alan can build anything you want and he is very reasonably priced. I move mine on because it had too many strings.