Why become a member? ×

Choice Of Next Amp

Perry

With a budget of around £1300 for an amp I have been looking the Markbass 2x10 or 1x12 combo with ext cab 12 or 15

Or 2 1x12 Hartke cabs and Hartke head.

Any other suggestions? Due to a small car I can't have a 4x10 cab.

Nothing too heavy either.

Not sure what sound you're after or what situations you'll be using the rig in, but there's a Schroeder 1212L and a LMIII in the secondhand section here (different sellers, and neither to do with me) which will be a great gigging rig you can carry in one go, and will be less than half your budget. Little Marks and Schroeders are a good combination of head and cab; I've used them, and my mate ran exactly the pair above in a very loud band for a couple of years and always sounded great.

I have the 1x12 Markbass CMD121P with matching NY121 ext cab. It`s plenty loud enough for a very full-on punk band, light enough to carry each item together, and fits easily into the boot of my Astra.

But the rig Muzz advises of above would also do the trick easily.

I did my first gig with my new amp last night, Carvin BX700. Worked far better with my S12V than the GK MB500 I had before.
Both new would just about scrape into your budget, the cab being the expensive bit. As one of our guitarses said last night (looking at how the amp was set), "bloody Hell, you ain't even tickling it!".
This against 2 guitarses and the drummer through the PA. And me not!
Oh, and the Barefaced fits in the boot of Her Who Makes Toast By Breathing On Bread's Tigra convertible.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1399802443' post='2447708']
I did my first gig with my new amp last night, Carvin BX700. Worked far better with my S12V than the GK MB500 I had before.
Both new would just about scrape into your budget, the cab being the expensive bit. As one of our guitarses said last night (looking at how the amp was set), "bloody Hell, you ain't even tickling it!".
This against 2 guitarses and the drummer through the PA. And me not!
Oh, and the Barefaced fits in the boot of Her Who Makes Toast By Breathing On Bread's Tigra convertible.
[/quote]

Glad you're liking it karl! How does it compare to the GK in terms of tone?

From the Carvin, any good? thread.

First gig with BX700 last night.
Instant punch in chest, amazing power and sound, with virtually no fiddling. Slight cut on bass, slight cut on low mid at 200 hz, slight boost on high mid at 1.2khz (a soundman once told me to do that), no compression, graphic eq off, valve pre amp off.
Drive about 1 o'clock, master at about 9 o'clock. Against miked up drummer and guitarses.
Perception was much more powerful than GB Shuttle/ Streamliner 600, GK MB 500.
Fabulous, and learning this amp has just started. Picture at home
[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/DSCF0517_zps471e7fbb.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/DSCF0517_zps471e7fbb.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Hello Paul. BBGM. ( Big Bald Gay Men, Bob the Builders Gay Mates, Baddleys Bottom Genocidal Methane)
There is a link at the bottom of all my posts to BBGM on NWB.
Next Sat Blackburn Sat after Lytham ,after that is far too far away for me to remember :P
More than welcome to come round for an hours prat about, but it is totally different in a little back bedroom to a gig.