Why become a member? ×

Yes another Cubase Q...

bubinga5

Hey people..Im im shortly going to buy some recording equipment, and was thinking a Yamaha N8, this is in a package deal with cubase. I dont have alot of experience using this program(or any for that matter) is it easy to use/learn.....am i better off starting with something more simple. I have tried to find a demo but to no avale..To be honest im new to recording..Have come into some money so i thought i would set myself up..

Then again i dont want to buy equipment i dont know how to use!!!

Any advice???

[quote name='bubinga5' post='241376' date='Jul 16 2008, 11:22 PM']Hey people..Im im shortly going to buy some recording equipment, and was thinking a Yamaha N8, this is in a package deal with cubase. I dont have alot of experience using this program(or any for that matter) is it easy to use/learn.....am i better off starting with something more simple. I have tried to find a demo but to no avale..To be honest im new to recording..Have come into some money so i thought i would set myself up..

Then again i dont want to buy equipment i dont know how to use!!!

Any advice???[/quote]

IMHO I think it is one of the easiest audio software to use, and it will grow with you.

Great for Midi, and basic multi track recording is quite easy too, has its quarks but all the major sequences do they all do.
Cuebase 4 is still a bit unstable at the minute though.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='241525' date='Jul 17 2008, 09:30 AM']I think cubase is easy enough to learn if you are patient. I'm not sure about the hardware you've chosen. What are you going to be recording?[/quote] Will be recording Bass, Organ, Semi Acoustic Guitar. Prob record drums in a studio, then record the rest on top of that..I noticed that there are two Cubase, one less expensive than the other???

Another Q, if i use cubase do i need a digital mixing desk, as in the Yamaha N8, if not what do i use to plug instruments into?? :)

I know i could use a DI box, but i would like the option of playing through multi channels...

Edited by bubinga5

You need an interface to get analogue audio into your PC. You already have a soundcard, so yeh you could use a DI box, but that would be a bit crap.

A decent interface will be a lot cheaper and smaller than a big digital desk. You can normally get them with 2 mic pres built in, PCI or USB or firewire, and some extra analogue inputs etc.

If you want the physical feel of a mixer, get a controller. Behringer do a cheap one.

There's not much need for an actual mixer in studios these days (IMHO).

I think with the yamaha thing you would end up using it to record one track at a time (especially if you're tracking drums elsewhere), and then once it's in cubase you will use the mixer in there and basically waste the yamaha. It's more appropriate for live sound and recording at the same time IMHO.

I have the Yamaha N8 and Ithink for the money is a great buy, mine was £550 but soundcontrol were selling em for much cheaper recently!

Great sounding preamps, eq and reverb, indeed it is a pleaseure to own (for now!).

it comes with cubase 4 le which is a very nice sweetener, although it is limited in some ways, it would be perfect tool to use/learn. It made me want to upgrade and I picked up fullblown Cubase 4 for about £200 of Ebay!

Do it, spend yer money, its fun!

mB

I have the N8...
I Paid about £550.00...
But i think they are cheaper at the moment.
The Audio sound in/out is very good. [ Not a bad sounding compressor either]
Also very stable.
Bundled Cubase is a bit limited compared to My Cubase SX3. [ Cubase 4 seems to still be buggy]
[I will wait until September when Cubase 5 is due.]
But more than enough features.
Also with the Yamaha desk,you do get the real recording feeling,
Not like you are just sitting in the office... :huh:
Great bit of kit. :)

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='ironside1966' post='242650' date='Jul 18 2008, 01:00 PM']Cubase 5 already they have not sorted out 4 yet.[/quote]

Thats why i have stayed with SX3 and XP.
Working great,very stable.
I think i have got past the 'keep upgrading stage - cause every one else does'
My neighbour [Full time writer] has Cubase 4 and Vista .
And he is always pulling his hair out with the problems.

Garry

Cubase has a mixing desk on it so you won't need one (unless you want to).

What you will need is an audio/midi interface that turms an analogue signal (e.g. a bass or guitar) into a digital one. There are loads out there (I use an Edirol Audio Capture UA-20 but its ancient). You need to make use the ASIO driver on your soundcard is adequate (mine wasn't); not a big deal but, if it is not powerful enough, it will mean playback and recording won't match and there will be a gap between what you hear and what is recorded - not much use to a musician. But don't worry about it, its not an expensive bit of kit and there are 100s on ebay if youy need to cut costs.

Or another good bet,
Is get an Audio / Midi interface that has direct monitoring.
Then the recording / latency thing is not a problem.
Cubase compensates for this.
This can be done within Cubase.
Or You can do this pretty exact , with manual imput.
[ loop back test / record ]

Garry